Investigative Research Tools, Reference Materials, and Website Resources for Detectives
Welcome to eInvestigator.com’s list of private investigator research resources. We compiled this list of investigative tools specifically for private detectives, legal professionals, police officers and everyday people who use the internet to find people, information and data related to private detective and law enforcement cases.
The list contains an extensive collection of research resources, search tools, reference material, how-to articles, websites and other types of helpful information on a wide range of topics related to the investigation and law enforcement industry. Individuals who work as cops, in the legal field and law-related professions, security guards, the collections industry, and even journalism will also find this list to be an excellent resource.
In many cases, the resources are linked to other pages on our site. In some cases, we link out to external resources where more detailed or specialized information can be found. The pages generally provide an overview of the topic, a description of why it is relevant to private eyes, and links to additional websites, books, software, spy gear and other equipment.
We recommend bookmarking this page. It’s one you’ll want to come back to again and again.
- ABA Bank Routing Numbers – Overview of routing numbers for financial inquiries.
- Accident Reconstruction – Helpful information for traffic accident reconstruction.
- Acronyms – Acronyms and their meanings related to detectives and law enforcement
- Address Search – Find addresses, lookup phone numbers and run reverse searches.
- Adoption Research Tools – Locate adoptive parents.
- Airline Codes and Phone Numbers for Major Airlines
- Alumni Search – Resources for finding old classmates and friends.
- Amendments – List of constitutional amendments
- Area Codes List by State, by Number and Search Tools – A list of area codes for each state, and in numerical order. Also includes search and reverse lookup tools.
- Arrests and Warrants – Learn about the different types of arrests and warrants.
- Arson Investigations – Info for arson investigators and fire investigations.
- Automobile Research Reports – Vehicle history reports, auto associations, manufacturers, industry data providers and auto repossession.
- Background Checks – An overview of top information service providers for conducting background checks and investigations.
- Badges – Private Eye badges
- Bail Bondsman – An overview of bail bonds and the people who issue bonds.
- Bank Accounts – Information on bank accounts for financial inquiries.
- Banking Regulations – For those involved with financial matters.
- Bankruptcy – An overview of bankruptcy for those who are conducting asset searches.
- Become a Private Investigator – Learn how to get a private investigator license in each state.
- Biographies – For genealogy research.
- Blogging Websites – A review of the top blogging and content management solutions, for use in setting up your agency site.
- Boat & Marine Information – Links to websites for conducting maritime investigations.
- Bodyguard – Bodyguarding, executive protection and personal protection websites.
- Body Language – How to identify deception
- Books of the Bible – One of the more popular topics in our List of Lists section.
- Bounty Hunters – Fugitive recovery
- BrickhouseSecurity.com – Provides a wide selection of spy gear and electronic surveillance equipment.
- Business Research Tools – Tips and advice for uncovering information about companies. Includes sources for business news, magazines and more.
- Celebrity Investigations – Learn about the dram behind some of the most high-profile celebrity deaths, arrests and cheating scandals.
- Celebrity Mug Shots – Many mugshots are now available online. Check to see if someone has been arrested.
- Civil Investigations – Support for civil trials involving legal separation, divorce, child custody, alimony and child support payments.
- Collections Agency – Since gumshoes are experts at tracking down debtors, it’s good to know about collection agencies.
- Correctional Officer – Prison guards
- Crime Scene Investigation – Learn about the process and procedures involved with investigating crime scenes, evidence collection, conducting forensic analysis, ballistics and firearm identification, DNA testing, police procedures, photography, tips and more.
- Criminal Records Search – Learn how to find criminal records and court documents.
- Detective Training – Training classes, degree programs and continuing education for private eyes.
- Dictionaries / Glossaries – Look up definitions for legal, technology and more.
- Divorce Investigations – Resources for divorce, infidelity and surveillance.
- DMV – Motor Vehicle Search – List of DMV offices throughout the U.S.
- DNA Lab Testing – For testing crime scene evidence or for genealogical research.
- Domain Names and List of Domain Suffixes – Reference material for PC forensics and computer-related cases.
- E-Mail Search – Tools for finding and researching emails and email addresses
- Elder Abuse Investigations – Nursing home abuse
- Expert Witness – Expert witnesses to testify in court cases.
- Facts and Information – A list of fun facts and information on a variety of topics.
- FBI Books – Books on the Federal Bureau of Investigation, including how to pursue a career in the FBI.
- FBI Field Offices – A list of FBI offices
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Federal Regulatory Agencies – A list of federal regulatory agencies for government related work.
- Financial Calculators – Online calculators for everything from mortgage payments to credit card debt.
- Fingerprinting – Fingerprinting procedures and equipment for private eyes and police officers.
- Fraud Detection and Prevention – Information and links for investigating and combating fraud.
- Genealogy Research Tools – Research family histories and find long lost relatives, how to search the obituaries, biographies, etc.
- Genealogy – National Archives – Using the National Archives to find family members
- Glossary of Legal Terms – A list of commonly used legal terms and their definition.
- Google Search Commands – Become a better searcher by learning how to run more effective queries, save time and get better results.
- Government Email – Learn how to contact your congressman.
- Government Research Tools and Information – How To Use Government Resources, Data and Information for Research and Investigations
- Handwriting Analysis – How to analyze the handwriting of a subject to determine possible personality traits.
- Homeland Security – The government agency responsible for keeping the United States safe.
- How to Promote your Business with Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn – Learn how to use social media to promote your services, build a following and connect with others who work in the industry.
- Human Resources (HR) – HR departments are a critical piece in conducting employment checks and gathering work history.
- Insurance Fraud Investigations – An overview of investigating fraudulent insurance claims, list of major insurance providers in the United States, and insurance resources.
- Investigation TV Shows – The best police dramas and crime TV shows.
- Investing – Reference material for financial investigations and asset searches.
- Law Enforcement – Online resources, agencies, associations and more for police officers.
- Law Enforcement Training – Training classes and continuing education for police officers.
- Legal Forms – Legal forms and law form packages for a variety of legal purposes such as Bill of Sale, Bankruptcy,, Deeds, Divorce and Separation, Incorporation, LLC Formation, Last Will & Testament, Power of Attorney, Pre-Nups, Wills and more.
- Legal Research – Law directories, attorneys and lawyers and the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Licensing (Private Investigator) – Learn how to become a licensed private investigator.
- License Plate Search
- List of Lists – An extensive collection of lists on a wide variety of topics.
- Lock Picking – Learn how to pick locks like a professional.
- Loss Prevention – Learn how businesses prevent financial loss by preventing theft and embezzlement.
- Malpractice and Negligence Investigations
- Map Search
- Maritime, Marine and Boating Investigations
- Military Locator Services – How to find someone in the military.
- Miranda Rights – An overview of Miranda Rights and the Miranda Warning
- Missing Persons – Learn how to look for people who have gone missing.
- Mobile Phone Spy Software – Software for monitoring cell phone usage.
- Morse Code
- Most Wanted Criminals – Various lists of most wanted criminals.
- Motor Vehicle Records – A list of Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices throughout the country
- Mystery Shopping Services – An overview of mystery shopper services that evaluate the service levels, employees and facilities for companies.
- National Crime Information Center – An overview of the NCIC and how it is used by law enforcement organizations.
- Net Detective and Net Detective Plus – Learn what these products can and cannot do.
- Newspapers – A list of major newspapers.
- NORAD – An overview of the North American Aerospace Defense Command organization.
- Notary Public
- Paranormal Investigations – Ghost hunters
- People Search – Online tools for finding people
- Personal Protection – Learn how to protect yourself and your possessions.
- Pet Detective – Resources for finding missing pets.
- Phonetic Alphabet
- Phone Number Search (see Reverse Search below)
- Police Equipment – Learn about the equipment and tools used by law enforcement officers in the line of duty.
- Police Officer
- Police Reports – Learn how to find police reports.
- Police Ten Codes – A list of the codes used by police officers to communicate in the line of duty.
- Polygraph – Information on polygraphs and lie detector tests.
- Presidents / List of U.S. Presidents
- Private Investigation Associations – Find an association to join and network with other professionals.
- Private Investigator Licensing – Learn the rules and regulations for getting licensed in any state.
- Private Detective Jobs – Resources for finding a job in the industry, and an overview of salary and earnings.
- Private Investigator Reports – Various reports ranging from public records search to background checks.
- Private Eye Services – A list of services that private eyes might provide.
- Private Investigator Software – Software used to conduct database searches, lookups, manage cases, and more.
- Private Detective Training – Resources for learning and continuing education.
- Private Investigator DVDs – The best TV crime and detective series.
- Property & Land Records – How to lookup information on real estate.
- Process Service – Information on process servers.
- Public Records Search – Search for basic background check information such as addresses, phone numbers, professional licenses and more.
- Recalls – Product Recalls
- Reports – Order investigative reports online now for background checks, public records searches, reverse phone number lookups, property reports and more. Also, learn how to go about getting a copy of a police report.
- Report a Crime – How to report that a crime has been committed to the appropriate organizations.
- Research Databases – Database information providers.
- Reverse Search – How to run a reverse search to find people, phone numbers and addresses.
- Scams and Fraud Schemes – A list of common scams and fraud schemes to be aware of.
- Search Engines/ Directories – The major search engines and directories for finding information on the web.
- Secret Service – The organization tasked with protecting the President.
- Security Guards
- Security Systems
- Sex Offender Search by State
- Skip Tracing Online
- Skype Software – Chat with clients in real time.
- Social Networking Websites – The most popular social networks.
- Social Security Numbers
- Spokeo People Search – Search anybody by name, e-mail address, phone number, online username or even friends in your address book and instantly return lots of info.
- Spy Gear and Surveillance Equipment – Includes an overview of the basic equipment that is used in the investigation industry and by law enforcement to conduct surveillance and counter-surveillance. Includes personal protection devices such as TASERs, pepper spray and mace, and more.
- Stalking and Anti-Stalking
- State Information – State abbreviations, state capitals, constitutions and websites.
- State Bar Associations
- Stock Market Information
- Stolen Property and Goods – How to use the Trace service to determine if property or goods have been reported as stolen to the FBI Stolen Articles file on the NCIC database.
- Survival Kits & Supplies
- TASER Guns and Stun Guns
- Telephone Number Search and Reverse Search Tools – How to look up a phone number and how to use a phone number to look up a person and/or address.
- Ten Codes – A list of radio communication codes used by police officers.
- Training, Development and Education – Organizations that provide training for those interested in becoming a private eye.
- Travel Guides – List of websites for researching travel, maps and geography. See also Hotels, Car Rental Agencies, Cruise Lines,
- TV Crime and Investigation Shows – The most popular TV crime shows.
- Unclaimed Property Research – Find unclaimed money, property and valuables.
- Urgent Detective
- U.S. Department of Defense and The Pentagon
- U.S. Military: An Overview of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines
- US Customs and Border Protection
- US Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Intelligence Agencies
- U.S. Military Locator
- Videos / DVDs – TV crime shows on DVD and video.
- VIN Number Decoders – Learn how to read a VIN number.
- Vital Records – Where to find marriage, birth, death and other records.
- Voter Registration – Polling locations throughout the country.
- Weather Research – Planning a surveillance mission? Those pictures will come out better if it’s not raining. Here are some places to check the weather.
- Web Hosting – Private eyes
- White Pages – For looking up phone numbers and running reverse searches
- Wire Tapping
- Workers Compensation – An overview of worker’s compensation. P.I.’s are often hired by insurance companies to investigate fraudulent worker’s comp insurance claims.
- Yellow Page Lookup Websites – Search for businesses and companies in the United States.
- Zip Code Lookup – Find zip codes for a particular area or lookup the zip code for a particular address.