Investigative Research Tools, Reference Materials, and Website Resources for Detectives
Welcome to eInvestigator.com’s list of private investigator research resources. We compiled this list of investigative tools specifically for police officers, private detectives, legal professionals and everyday people who use the internet to find people, information and data related to private detective and law enforcement cases.
The list contains an extensive collection of research resources, search tools, reference material, how-to articles, websites and other types of helpful information on a wide range of topics related to the investigation and law enforcement industry. Individuals who work as cops, in the legal field and law-related professions, security guards, the collections industry, and even journalism will also find this list to be an excellent resource. In many cases, the resources are linked to other pages on our site. In some cases, we link out to external resources where more detailed or specialized information can be found. The pages generally provide an overview of the topic, a description of why it is relevant to private eyes, and links to additional resources, books, software, spy gear and other equipment.
We recommend bookmarking this page. It’s one you’ll want to come back to again and again.
- ABA Bank Routing Numbers – Overview of routing numbers for financial inquiries.
- Accident Reconstruction – Resources for traffic accident reconstruction.
- Acronyms – Acronyms and their meanings related to detectives and law enforcement
- Address Search – Find addresses an phone numbers.
- Adoption Research Tools – Locate adoptive parents.
- Airline Telephone Numbers (Domestic) – A list of telephone numbers for major airlines.
- Airline Numbers (International)
- Airport Codes – Codes for major airports.
- Airport List
- Alumni Search – Resources for finding old classmates and friends.
- Amendments – List of constitutional amendments
- American Bar Association
- Area Codes – By Number – A list of area codes by number.
- Area Codes – By State – A list of area codes for each state.
- Area Code Search – Look up area codes by number.
- Army National Guard –
- Arrests and Warrants – Learn about the different types of arrests and warrants.
- Arson Investigations – Resources for arson investigators and fire investigations.
- Articles on Private Investigations
- Assault – An overview of the crime of assault.
- Attorneys / Lawyers
- Automobile Associations – For auto research and accident reconstruction cases.
- Automobile Manufacturers – Auto research resources.
- Automobile Recovery – Auto repossession and Repo men.
- Auto Research – Find information on cars.
- Background Checks – Resources for conducting background checks and investigations.
- Badges – Private Eye badges
- Bail Bondsman
- Ballistics – Firearm identification and analysis.
- Bank Accounts – Information on bank accounts for financial inquiries.
- Banking Regulations
- Bankruptcy Forms – Legal forms for filing bankruptcy in every state.
- Become a Private Investigator – Learn how to get a private investigator license in each state.
- Bill of Sale Forms – Legal forms for Bill of Sale.
- Blogging Websites
- Boat & Marine Information – Resources for conducting maritime investigations.
- Bodyguard – Bodyguarding and personal protection websites.
- Books of the Bible
- Bounty Hunters – Fugitive recovery
- BrickhouseSecurity.com – Provides a wide selection of spy gear and electronic surveillance equipment.
- Business Research Tools – Tools for uncovering information about companies. – Provider of quality spy gear
- Budget Hotels
- Business Magazines – For company info.
- Business News
- Deed Forms
- Detective Training – Training classes, degree programs and continuing education for private eyes.
- Dictionaries / Glossaries
- Divorce Forms
- Divorce Investigations
- DMV – Motor Vehicle Search
- DNA Lab Testing
- Domain Names
- Domain Name Suffixes
- Duplicate Driver’s License
- E-Mail Search – Tools for finding and researching emails and email addresses
- Elder Abuse Investigations
- Evidence Collection – Police procedures and resources for collecting evidence from crime scenes.
- Executive Protection
- Expert Witness
- Facts and Information – A list of fun facts and information on a variety of topics.
- False imprisonment
- FBI Books – Books on the Federal Bureau of Investigation, including how to puruse a career in the FBI.
- FBI Field Offices – A list of FBI offices
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Federal Regulatory Agencies
- Financial Calculators – Online calculators for everthing from mortgage payments to credit card debt.
- Fingerprinting – Fingerprinting procedures and resources for private eyes and police officers.
- Fire Investigations – Resources for arson investigators.
- Forensic Investigations – Crime scenes, DNA testing, photography and more.
- Foreign Embassies in the U.S.
- Fraud Resources – Information and tools for investigating and combating fraud.
- Genealogy Research – Research family histories and find long lost relatives.
- Genealogy – National Archives – Using the National Archives to find family members
- Glossary of Legal Terms – A list of commonly used legal terms and their definition.
- Google Search Commands
- Government Email
- Government Information
- Insurance Companies – List of the major insurance providers in the United States.
- Insurance Fraud – Resources for investigating fraudulent insurance claims.
- Insurance Investigations – Resources for investigating insurance fraud.
- Intellectual Property
- Investigation TV Shows – The best police dramas and crime TV shows.
- Landlord / Tenant Forms
- Legal Forms – Legal forms and form packages for a variety of legal purposes.
- Legal Guardian
- Legal Resources
- Larceny – An overview of the crime of larceny.
- Last Will & Testament Forms
- Law Enforcement – Resources for police officers.
- Law Enforcement Agencies
- Law Enforcement Training – Training classes and continuing education for police officers.
- Lawyers / Legal Professionals
- Licensing (Private Investigator) – Learn how to becomed a licensed private investigator.
- License Plate Search
- List of Lists
- LLC Formation Forms
- Lock Picking – Learn how to pick locks like a professional.
- Loss Prevention
- Malpractice Investigations
- Map Search
- Military Locator Services – How to find someone in the military.
- Miranda Rights – An overview of Miranda Rights and the Miranda Warning
- Miscellaneous Legal Forms
- Missing Persons
- Mobile Phone Spy Software
- Morse Code
- Most Wanted Criminals
- Motor Vehicle Records
- Mug Shots – Many mugshots are now available online. Check to see if someone has been arrested.
- Mystery Shopping
- National Crime Info Center
- Negligence Investigations
- Net Detective and Net Detective Plus
- Nolo Contendere
- Notary Public
- Obituaries – Learn to search the obituaries to find out if your subject is deceased.
- Online Calculators
- Online Coupon Websites
- Online Investing
- Online Television Shows –
- Paranormal Investigations – Ghost hunters
- People Search – Resources for finding people
- Pepper Spray – Different types of pepper and mace for personal protection.
- Personal Protection
- Pet Detective
- Phonetic Alphabet
- Police Equipment
- Police Officer
- Police Reports – Learn how to find police reports.
- Police Ten Codes
- Polygraph – Information on polygraphs and lie detector tests.
- Postal Information
- Power of Attorney Forms
- Pre-Marital Agreement Forms
- Presidents / List of U.S. Presidents
- Private Investigation Articles
- Private Investigation Associations – Find an association to join and network with other professionals.
- Private Investigator Licensing – Learn the rules and regulations for getting licensed in any state.
- Private Detective Jobs
- Private Investigator Reports
- Private Investigator Salary
- Private Eye Services
- Private Investigator Software
- Private Detective Training
- Private Investigator DVDs
- Probable Cause
- Property & Land Records
- Process Service
- Public Records Search – Search for basic background check information such as addresses, phone numbers, professional licenses and more.
- Recalls – Product Recalls
- Reference Guides and Websites
- Report a Crime
- Research Databases
- Restraining Order
- Reverse Phone Search
- Salary – Private Investigators
- Scams and Fraud Schemes
- Search and Seizure
- Search Engines/ Directories
- Secret Service
- Security Guards
- Security Systems
- Service of Process
- Sex Offender Search by State
- Sexual Assault
- Skip Tracing Resources
- Skype Software – Chat with clients in real time.
- Social Networking Websites
- Social Security Numbers
- Spokeo People Search – Search anybody by name, e-mail address, phone number, online username or even friends in your address book and instantly return lots of info.
- Spy Stores / Spy Equipment
- Stalking and Anti-Stalking
- State Abbreviations
- State Bar Associations
- State Capitals
- State Constitutions
- State Websites
- Statute of Limitations
- Stock Market Information
- Stolen Property and Goods – How to use the Trace service to determine if property or goods have been reported as stolen to the FBI Stolen Articles file on the NCIC database.
- Survival Kits & Supplies
- TASER Guns and Stun Guns
- Telephone Search
- Ten Codes
- The Pentagon
- Training, Development and Education
- Travel Guides
- TV Crime and Investigation Shows
- Unclaimed Property Research
- Urgent Detective
- United States Air Force
- United States Army
- United States Border Patrol
- U.S. Department of Defense
- United States Supreme Court
- US Customs and Border Protection
- US Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Intelligence Agencies
- U.S. Military Locator Toolss
- Videos / DVDs – TV crime shows on DVD and video.
- VIN Number Decoders – Learn how to read a VIN number.
- Vital Records – Where to find marriage, birth, death and other records.
- Voter Registration
- Weather Research
- Web Hosting
- Weights and Measures – Unit conversion tools and calculators
- White Pages – For looking up phone numbers and running reverse searches
- Will Forms – Last will & testament legal forms
- Wire Tapping
- Workers Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Yellow Page Lookup Tools – Search for businesses and companies in the United States.
- Zip Code Lookup – Find zip codes for a particular area or lookup the zip code for a particular address.