In this article, we’ll provide an overview of how to create a website for a business. This includes web design software and content management systems. In addition, we’ll provide a list of web hosting companies.
Web-Based Design Tools
In addition, many web-based design tools and services don’t require software to be downloaded or installed. A web browser is used to access an online content management system to create and edit files. All files, images, databases, etc., associated with the site are stored online on the hosting server.
Some of the more popular brands include WordPress, Drupal, and Blogger. Also, check out the various blogging and content management software options available. They make it easy to design, launch, and maintain a site.
Many web hosting providers have integrated site management tools that help you develop a site quickly. The benefit of this approach is the design program is usually included in the cost of the hosting package for free. Following are some of the more popular services:
- Wix.com – Wix.com is a leading cloud-based development platform with over 200 million users worldwide. Wix makes it easy to create a beautiful, professional web presence.
- Weebly – Weebly is a complete platform that allows anyone to start and grow an online business with templates, powerful eCommerce, and integrated marketing.
- SquareSpace – SquareSpace is a web-based content management system that makes it easy for anyone to set up their own personal or business site online. It is an all-in-one service for registering a domain name, web hosting and creating your site and online store.
- Duda – Duda is a leading website builder for web professionals and agencies of all sizes. Duda enables you to build unique, feature-rich websites ideally suited to desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
Web-Based Content Management Systems and Blogging Platforms
A blog is short for “weblog”. A blog is a website that allows an individual or group of individuals to share a running log of events and information related to a particular topic. Also, a blog is known as a regularly updated journal published online. Some websites are intended for a small audience; others vie for readership with national newspapers. Blogs can be very influential, personal, or both, reflecting as many topics and opinions as people write them.
In recent years, blogging has become a legitimate source of news and information on the web. Many bloggers (people who write blogs) have turned their websites into full-time professions. For more information on various blogging platforms, please visit the following websites (most are free):
- Blogger – Website that makes setting up blogs easy and fun. Owned by Google.
- Drupal – Drupal is an open-source content management publishing platform. Drupal makes authoring web content easy due to its flexibility. And best of all, it’s free.
- Joomla – Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease of use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Website software. Joomla is an open-source solution that is freely available to everyone.
- LiveJournal.com – LiveJournal is an online journaling community, where people worldwide share stories, discuss topics, and keep in touch with friends. It’s a free service that you can use for meeting people and creating bonds through writing and sharing.
- WordPress – WordPress is a blogging tool and website publishing platform. We recommend WordPress as the best choice for private investigators to create a website for business. It is easy to set up and use and makes maintaining your website a breeze. Also, WordPress comes with several great plugins to help you manage security, fix broken links, build your social media presence, and review website analytics. It’s what we’ve been using to manage the content for einvestigator.com since 2012.
PC-Based Web Design Software
Web design software creates and edits web pages, websites, and web applications using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), and images. It can also create HTML newsletters and web-related content for websites and email programs.
Web design software contrasts with web development software, including tools that allow web server configuration, web application writing, and server security. However, web design software is often used for website administration tasks.
To be competitive, private investigation agencies must have an online presence to provide information about their investigation business, the services offered, and the geographic area covered. Several quality web design software packages can help you develop a quality website.
The following web design software programs may be useful for setting up a website for your private investigation business.
Web Design Software Products
Currently, the most popular website design software packages are:
- Fast, flexible coding – Create, code, and manage dynamic websites easily with a smart, simplified coding engine. Access code hints to quickly learn and edit HTML, CSS, and other web standards. And use visual aids to reduce errors and speed up site development
- Existing subscribers must first complete current membership term before linking new subscription term
Adobe Dreamweaver is the most popular design package, representing the industry standard in website creation and management. Anyone serious about designing a high-quality site should investigate using Adobe Dreamweaver. However, most beginners will find Adobe Dreamweaver difficult to use due to its advanced features.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Cheshire, Jim (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 1368 Pages – 12/23/2010 (Publication Date) – Que Publishing (Publisher)
Microsoft Expression is Microsoft’s answer to Adobe Dreamweaver. Formerly known as Microsoft Frontpage, this product merges ease of use with power design features. Expression is a solid product, but not as good as Dreamweaver. However, it is much easier to use.
SiteSpinner – SiteSpinner is easier to use than the packages listed above but less powerful.
Microsoft SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 – SharePoint offers powerful content and document management systems. Great for a business that needs multiple users to contribute content to a web-based interface. It is a great product if you collaborate with others on your team and manage documents.
Create a Website for a Business with Wikis
If you don’t want to invest the time to learn how to create a website for a business using a CMS or computer software, you may want to consider using a Wiki. Wiki comes from a Hawaiian word that means “quick.” A wiki is a website that multiple visitors can edit to produce a collaborative website. The most famous wiki website is Wikipedia, which millions use daily.
Wikis are a great way to collectively create documents, reference guides, investigation reports, etc. Wikis are especially useful when users are geographically dispersed. Working on documents stored in the cloud reduces the time spent emailing documents back and forth. For more information on wikis, visit the following websites:
- Wikipedia.org – By far the most popular wiki, Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers worldwide. Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has grown rapidly into the largest reference Web site in the world.
- Fandom – Fandom (formerly known as Wikia) is a community destination supporting the creation and development of wiki communities on any topic. Fandom content is available under a free content license. It operates on the open-source MediaWiki software. Explore existing communities or start a new one. Anyone can edit the content.
- Wikispaces (no longer in business) seeks to build the world’s easiest wiki service by listening closely to their Wikispaces community. The platform hosts millions of wikis for over five million people. Plus, they have products designed for the smallest classroom and the world’s largest corporations and institutions.
Now that you understand how to create a website for a business, you’ll need to decide where to host it. Deciding where to host your website is almost as important as what you’ll use to build it. When it comes to hosting, you want the best, most reliable platform at the cheapest price. Based on personal experience, I recommend Kinsta and SiteGround. View this list of the best web hosting providers to see other viable options.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about creating a website, using content management systems, or setting up web hosting, please post a message below. Learn how to promote your business and website on social media.
Also, see more Web Design Software products at Amazon.com.