In this article, we’ll provide an overview of how to create a website for a business. This includes web design software, and content management systems. In addition, we’ll provide a list of web hosting companies.
Web-Based Design Tools
In addition, there are many web-based design tools and services that don’t require software to be downloaded or installed. A web browser is used to access an online content management system to create and edit files. All files, images, databases, etc. that are associated with the site are stored online on the hosting server.
Some of the more popular brands include WordPress, Drupal, and Blogger. Also, check out the various blogging and content management software options available. They make it easy to design, launch and maintain a site.
A number of web hosting providers have integrated site management tools that help you develop a site quickly. The benefit of this approach is the design program is usually included in the cost of the hosting package for free. Following are some of the more popular services:
- Wix.com – Wix.com is a leading cloud-based development platform with more than 200 million users worldwide. Wix makes it easy to create a beautiful, professional web presence.
- Weebly – Weebly is a complete platform that allows anyone to start and grow an online business with templates, powerful eCommerce, and integrated marketing.
- SquareSpace – SquareSpace is a web-based content management system that makes it easy for anyone to set up their own personal or business site on the internet. It serves as an all-in-one service for registering a domain name, web hosting, creating your site and your online store.
- Duda – Duda is a leading website builder for web professionals and agencies of all sizes. Duda enables you to build amazing, feature-rich websites that are perfectly suited to desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
Web-Based Content Management Systems and Blogging Platforms
A blog is short for “weblog”. A blog is a website that allows an individual or group of individuals to share a running log of events and information related to a particular topic. Also, a blog is known as a regularly updated journal published on the web. Some websites sites are intended for a small audience; others vie for readership with national newspapers. Blogs can be very influential, personal, or both, and they reflect as many topics and opinions as there are people writing them.
In recent years, blogging has become a legitimate source of news and information on the web. Many bloggers (people who write blogs) have turned their websites into full-time professions. For more information on various blogging platforms, please visit the following websites (most are free):
Blogger – Website that makes setting up blogs easy and fun. Owned by Google.
Drupal – Drupal is an open-source content management publishing platform. Drupal makes authoring web content easy due to its flexibility. And best of all, it’s free.
Joomla – Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease of use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Joomla is an open-source solution that is freely available to everyone.
LiveJournal.com – LiveJournal is an online journaling community, where people from around the world share stories, discuss topics, and keep in touch with friends. It’s a free service that you can use for meeting people and creating bonds through writing and sharing.
WordPress – WordPress is a blogging tool and website publishing platform. We recommend WordPress as the best choice for private investigators to create a website for business. It is easy to set up, easy to use and makes maintaining your website a breeze. Also, WordPress comes with a number of great plugins to help you manage security, fix broken links, build your social media presence, and review website analytics. It’s what we’ve been using to manage the content for einvestigator.com since 2012.
PC-Based Web Design Software
Web design software is used to create and edit web pages, websites, and web applications using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), and images. It can also be used to create HTML newsletters and other web-related content for use on websites and email programs.
Web design software is in contrast with web development software, which includes tools that allow web server configuration, writing web applications, and server security. However, web design software is often used for website administration tasks.
To be competitive, it is critical that private investigation agencies have an online presence to provide information about their investigation business, the services offered, and the geographic area covered. There are a number of quality web design software packages on the market that can help you develop a quality website.
The following web design software programs may be useful tools in setting up a website for your private investigation business.
Web Design Software Products
Currently, the most popular website design software packages are:
- Adobe Dreamweaver – The most popular design package, representing the industry standard in website creation and management. Anyone who is serious about designing a high-quality site should investigate using Adobe Dreamweaver. However, most beginners will find Adobe Dreamweaver difficult to use due to its advanced features.
- Microsoft Expression – Microsoft’s answer to Adobe Dreamweaver. Formerly known as Microsoft Frontpage, this product merges ease of use with power design features. Expression is a solid product, but not as good as Dreamweaver. However, it is much easier to use.
- SiteSpinner – SiteSpinner is easier to use than the packages listed above, but also not as powerful.
- Microsoft SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 – SharePoint offers powerful content management and document management system. Great for a business that needs to have multiple users contribute content to a web-based interface. It is a great product if you need to collaborate with others on your team and manage documents.
Create a Website for a Business with Wikis
If you don’t want to invest the time to learn how to create a website for a business using a CMS or computer software, you may want to consider using a Wiki. Wiki comes from a Hawaiian word that means “quick”. A wiki is a website that can be edited by multiple visitors to produce a collaborative website. The most famous wiki website is Wikipedia, which is used by millions of people each day.
Wikis are a great way to collectively create documents, reference guides, investigation reports, etc. Wikis are especially useful when users are geographically dispersed. Working on documents that are stored in the cloud reduces the amount of time spent emailing documents back and forth. For more information on wikis, visit the following websites:
- Wikipedia.org – By far the most popular wiki, Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world. Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has grown rapidly into the largest reference Web site in the world.
- Fandom – Fandom (formerly known as Wikia) is a community destination supporting the creation and development of wiki communities on any topic. Fandom content is available under a free content license. It operates on the Open Source MediaWiki software. Explore existing communities or start a new one. Anyone can edit the content.
- Wikispaces (no longer in business) – Wikispaces seeks to build the world’s easiest wiki service by listening closely to their Wikispaces community. The platform hosts millions of wikis for over five million people, Plus, they have products designed for the smallest classroom and the world’s largest corporations and institutions.
Now that you understand how to create a website for a business, you’ll need to decide where to host it. Deciding where you will host your website is almost as important as what you’ll use to build it. When it comes to hosting, you want the best, most reliable platform at the cheapest price. Based on personal experience, I recommend Kinsta and SiteGround. To see other viable options, view this list of the best web hosting providers.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about how to create a website, use content management systems, or set up web hosting, please lease a message below. Learn how to promote your business and website on social media.
Also, see more Web Design Software products at Amazon.com.