Home security systems are designed to keep you, your family and your home (or place of business) safe from criminals and intruders. Their main purpose is to prevent or deter access, but they also serve to notify police or security and capture photos and/or video footage of criminal activity.
What does a typical system include? Many basic alarm systems are offered by security monitoring companies for free in exchange for a monthly monitoring fee and annual contract. Alarm systems, security equipment, and surveillance equipment are usually installed by professional installers or security companies. Examples of home security systems include simple door and window alarms, surveillance cameras, and infrared motion detectors. Physical structures, such as gates and electronic fences, that prevent access to a property or certain areas are consider a part of an overall home security system. Additional equipment may include special door and window locks, floor safes, hidden safes, safe rooms, and even security guards.
What does a typical system cost? Home security systems range from basic to advanced and can range in cost anywhere from $100 to tens of thousands of dollars.
Following are links to companies that provide home security systems, alarm security products, home security monitoring systems, and other resources:
- ADT– ADT is a leader in the security industry. They are the largest security company in the United States and Canada. They offer a broad range of security solutions and products for personal and business use. They generally have the latest and greatest technology incorporated into their systems, so we highly recommend them as a trusted equipment and service provider. The only negative thing we can say is they have some of the highest prices in the industry. However, higher quality comes along with that higher price.
- FrontPoint – Frontpoint was founded in 2007 by a team of home security experts who wanted to create a different kind of company. One that embraced more effective technology and didn’t rely on fear mongering to make a sale. Less than a decade later, we’re well on our way… we’re always looking for ways to offer our customers the latest in technology as well as top-notch service. And it shows in our reviews! We’re proud of what our customers say about our service. But, we’re even more proud of the fact that more homes and families are safer and have greater peace of mind.
- Link Interactive – Link Interactive is a do-it-yourself (DIY) home security provider. Link Interactive offers you the flexibility to customize your own security system to match your specific needs and budget. You’ll find affordable Home Security, Life Safety, Home Automation, and Cameras that have the highest performance and reliability ratings. Contact them at 1-877-826-5443.
- Protect America – Protect America is one of the nation’s top home security companies. We have protected almost half a million homes since 1992 and have continued to grow. Currently an average of 15% of the population in the U.S. has a working alarm system. Our goal is to provide home security for the whole nation and educate consumers on the importance of home security. We provide more than just home security products. We also offer convenience and safety through our home automation, GPS, and surveillance products. Our wireless home security systems and products allow consumers to protect their homes and loved ones at an affordable price.
- Protection One – Protection 1 is the nation’s premier full service security provider, protecting residential, business, national account and integrated system customers at millions of locations. Protection 1 serves nearly 2 million customers with over 4,000-plus employees at more than 90 full-service branch locations across the country. Protection 1 maintains a 97% Customer Satisfaction Score and an A+ Better Business Bureau rating.
- SimpliSafe– SimpliSafe is a do-it-yourself wireless home security system that is proving to be a solid alternative to the expensive systems sold by major distributors. Read our review and find out if this package is right for your needs.
- Vivint – As a leading smart home technology provider, Vivint offers home security, energy management, home automation, local cloud storage, and high-speed Internet solutions to more than one million customers throughout the United States and Canada.
Other Equipment Providers
- BrickHouse Security– BrickHouse Security offers high-quality counter-surveillance and spy gear products at low prices. Sample products include: bug and camera detectors, voice changers, audio jammers, noise generators, wiretap detectors, and video cameras. Detect wireless transmissions immediately and disable wireless cameras and wireless audio bugs before it’s too late. A Mini-Bug Detector will effectively identify the presence of a bug.
What do Private Investigators need to know?
Private investigators may need to understand home security systems for a number of reasons. First, private eyes may be called upon to investigate a burglary or break-in at a home or business. In such a case, a P.I. may need to identify where the system failed or was circumvented by the intruder.
Second, private detectives often provide personal security and bodyguarding services to their clients. In this situation, it is helpful to have a thorough knowledge of the best equipment to help your client protect their dwelling or office building.
Third, a private detective may, though under rare circumstances, have to personally circumvent a system to gain entry into a building. This may happen during the course of a surveillance mission, or in the midst of a case that involves covert information gathering.
Whatever the case may be, it is wise to educate yourself on how the equipment works, how it is disabled, how it is installed, and the approximate cost of the electronics. This will help further position you as an expert in the field of security.