Overview of Home Security Systems
Home security systems help keep you, your family and your home (or place of business) safe from criminals and intruders. Their main purpose is to prevent or deter access, but they also serve to notify police or security and capture photos and/or video footage of criminal activity.
What does a typical home security system include?
Many basic alarm systems are offered by security monitoring companies for free in exchange for a monthly monitoring fee and annual contract. Alarm systems, security equipment, and surveillance equipment are usually installed by professional installers or security companies. Examples of home security systems include simple door and window alarms, surveillance cameras, and infrared motion detectors. Physical structures, such as gates and electronic fences, that prevent access to a property or certain areas are consider a part of an overall home security system. Additional equipment may include special door and window locks, floor safes, hidden safes, safe rooms, and even security guards.
What does a typical home security system cost?
Home security systems range from basic to advanced and can range in cost anywhere from $100 to tens of thousands of dollars for the necessary equipment. The costs for monitoring services usually run between $20 and $50 for most homes.
Reviewed Systems and Packages
Following are equipment packages that we’ve written a review on:
Nest Alarm System
Nest Alarm System – From the creators of the popular thermostat, Nest created a home security system that is built around the needs of the users. The system is easy to use, affordable and high quality. See also, Nest Cam.
SimpliSafe – SimpliSafe is a do-it-yourself wireless home security system that is proving to be a solid alternative to the expensive systems sold by major distributors. Buy only the components you need. Read our review and find out if this package is right for your needs.
List of the Most Popular Home Security Companies
Following is a list of the most popular home security companies that provide home security systems, alarm security products, home security monitoring systems, and other resources.
Most Popular Home Security Company
ADT– ADT is a leader in the security industry. They are the largest security and most well known company in the United States and Canada. ADT offers a broad range of security solutions and products for personal and business use. They generally have the latest and greatest technology incorporated into their systems, so we highly recommend them as a trusted equipment and service provider. The only negative thing we can say is they have some of the highest prices in the industry. However, higher quality comes along with that higher price.
Other Security Companies
- AT&T Digital Life – AT&T Digital Life makes wireless home security systems with burglar alarms, fire monitoring capabilities for homes and apartments. Also, it includes an easy to use mobile app. Use the mobile app to arm and disarm your system remotely. In addition, you can monitor video cameras, lock and unlock your door, and control smart home automation features.
- FrontPoint – Frontpoint was founded in 2007 by a team of home security experts who wanted to create a different kind of company. They set out to create a company that embraced more effective technology and didn’t rely on fear mongering to make a sale. Less than a decade later, the company is well on their way. They are always looking for ways to offer their customers the latest in technology as well as high quality service. They are proud of the fact that more homes and families are safer and have greater peace of mind.
- Link Interactive – Link Interactive is a do-it-yourself (DIY) home security provider. Link Interactive offers you the flexibility to customize your own security system to match your specific needs and budget. You’ll find affordable Home Security, Life Safety, Home Automation, and Cameras that have the highest performance and reliability ratings. Contact them at 1-877-826-5443.
- LiveWatch – LiveWatch is a home security provider that was founded by Chris Johnson in the 1990’s. As the county’s director of EMS service, he learned first-hand the importance of good communication and fast response times in emergency situations. LiveWatch strives to deliver cutting-edge security at a fraction of the price of other providers. LiveWatch invented the Plug & Protect approach. Using this approach, the company configures your system and ships it to you. Then, you simply unpack the equipment, plug it in and you’re ready to protect your home.
- Protect America – Protect America is one of the nation’s top home security companies. Protect America has protected almost half a million homes since 1992 and the company continues to grow. Currently an average of 15% of the population in the U.S. has a working alarm system. PA’s goal is to provide home security for the whole nation and educate consumers on the importance of home security. In addition, they provide more than just home security products. They also offer convenience and safety through our home automation, GPS, and surveillance products. Their wireless home security systems and products allow consumers to protect their homes and loved ones at an affordable price.
- Protection One – Protection 1 is a full service security provider, protecting residential, business, national account and integrated system customers at millions of locations. Protection 1 serves nearly 2 million customers with over 4,000-plus employees at more than 90 full-service branch locations across the country. The company maintains a 97% Customer Satisfaction Score and an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. We have personally used Protection One and can vouch that they are a comparable to ADT in price and service.
- Vivint – As a leading smart home technology provider, Vivint offers home security, energy management, home automation, local cloud storage, and high-speed Internet solutions to more than one million customers throughout the United States and Canada.
Other Equipment Providers
Spy Associates – offers high-quality counter-surveillance and spy gear products at low prices. Sample products include: bug and camera detectors, voice changers, audio jammers, noise generators, wiretap detectors, and video cameras. Detect wireless transmissions immediately and disable wireless cameras and wireless audio bugs before it’s too late.
What do Private Investigators need to know?
Private investigators may need to understand home security systems for a number of reasons. First, private eyes are often be called upon to investigate a burglary or break-in at a home or business. In such a case, a P.I. needs to identify where the system failed or was circumvented by the intruder.
Second, private detectives often provide personal security and bodyguarding services to their clients. In this situation, it is helpful to have a thorough knowledge of the best equipment to help your client protect their dwelling or office building.
Third, a private detective may, though under rare circumstances, have to personally circumvent a system to gain entry into a building. This may happen during the course of a surveillance mission. Or, it may become necessary in the midst of a case that involves covert information gathering.
Whatever the case may be, it is wise to educate yourself on how the equipment works. Also, it is good know know how to install systems, how much the electronics cost, and how to disable the system. This will help further position you as an expert in the field of security.