Business Research Tools for Uncovering Facts about Companies
Following are websites that provide research on business and company information. Private investigators land cases that involve investigating the activities of a business almost as often as they do for individuals. A number of internet websites can guide you in your search for company information. Information available on these sites include: links to company websites, business contact information, research tools, and company news.
One of the best places to start your research is Dun & Bradstreet. D&B is a leading provider of global business information, data, tools and insight. Economist.com is an online source for the analysis of world business and current affairs, providing authoritative insight and opinion on international news, world politics, business, finance, science and technology, as well as overviews of cultural trends and regular industry, business and country special reports.
U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission EDGAR Database – All companies, foreign and domestic, are required to file registration statements, periodic reports, and other forms electronically through EDGAR. Anyone can access and download this information for free. Here you’ll find links to a complete list of filings available through EDGAR and instructions for searching the EDGAR database.
Patents and Trademarks
Free Patents Online – FreePatentsOnline.com provides fast, easy-to-use access to millions of patents. Attorneys, inventors and private detectives use this data for patent searching. Private detectives and researchers use it to keep up on the latest developments in their field. Thomson & Thomson (Trademarks) is the world leader in trademark and copyright services. Thomson & Thomson offers intellectual property research products and services that have gained an unmatched reputation for reliability, accuracy and comprehensiveness.
To look up information on specific companies, we recommend using Hoover’s Online. Hoovers has an extensive database of millions of companies, with in-depth coverage of 40,000 of the world’s top business enterprises. Hoover’s editorial staff and researchers bring vital business information and knowledge to their coverage, updating the site daily to bring our visitors and subscribers the most up-to-date business information in the industry.
Valuecom – USA Business, Real Estate, Community Directory – The Valuecom directory includes real estate services, apartments, any type of business, community information, for sale by owner listings, and lengthy essays providing information and history for every state in the USA.
Company Information from an Investment Perspective
- InvestorGuide – The company offers a wide range of services www.investorwords.com to help individuals with their finances and investments
- Motley Fool – The Motley Fool champions shareholder values and advocates tirelessly for the individual investor.
- TheStreet.com – A leading financial media company whose network of Web sites serves as the premier online destination for all areas where money and life intersect.
- Financial Times – Financial news, articles and company profiles.
- Yahoo! Finance – Extensive financial information, news, and research on public companies.
Magazines are a great way to stay in touch with the latest trends and news updates, check out these popular titles, or view our Business Magazines page for more information.
- Business Week – Bloomberg’s Business Week magazine covers all the business news for the week. A great source of current information and articles on business.
- BusinessWire – Business Wire is a press release distribution service. BusinessWire disseminates full-text news announcements from thousands of companies and organizations worldwide to news media, financial markets, disclosure systems, investors, information web sites, databases and other audiences.
- Forbes – One of the most popular and well-respected business magazines
Searching for Someone? We recommend US Search, the leading provider of People Search and Background Check reports. US Search has an extensive selection of people search reports, background checks, criminal records, court records, real estate and financial reports.
Business magazines provide small business owners, such as private investigators, a wealth of information on running a small business. Learn