A badge is a distinctive mark, token, sign, or emblem worn on one’s clothing, which signifies a rank or membership in an organization. They are usually formed like a name badge, provide information about the organization and the role, and sometimes include the individual’s name. Sometimes, they are called buttons, shields, emblems, crests, or rank insignia.
Badges can also indicate that the individual has accomplished a certain amount of service or attained a particular level of authority. Badges or patches can be made from various materials, including metal, plastic, leather, textile fabric, rubber, etc. Usually, investigators affix them to clothing worn on the right or left side of the chest.
Are Private Investigators Required to Carry a Badge?
Private Investigators are not required to carry or wear a badge. However, many private detectives carry one with their private investigator’s license to reinforce their official status. The shield, crest, or emblem does not symbolize any level of legal or professional authority and is sometimes frowned upon. Check with the licensing authority in your state to see if there are any rules and regulations specific to your state.
Manufacturers and Resellers
There are several high-quality manufacturers within the United States. In most cases, you won’t be able to buy directly from the manufacturer. However, they maintain an extensive network of dealers and resellers in local areas throughout the country. Following is a shortlist of the most well-known manufacturers. Visit their website for more information on local dealers and re-sellers.
Badge & Wallet – Offers custom and pre-designed badges, cases, wallet holders, tie bars, tacks, belts, medals, and more. Also, the company offers an extensive selection of options for investigation and law enforcement agencies.
- Blackinton – Blackinton is the largest manufacturer of badges for police, fire, security, military, and the government. Blackinton has a nationwide network of over 800 dealers and fills orders directly via its website. In addition, the company sells wallet holders, commendation bars, uniform insignia, medals, awards, and much more. In addition, they provide custom solutions and refinishing services. Blackinton offers the following options:
- Official Private Investigator Shields – This official private investigator emblem is made by Blackinton (listed above) in the United States and is made to industry standards. The piece has the label Private Investigator in blue and has an engravable area where a number can be added. Dimensions are 3″ in length by 2¼” in width. Visit their website to order directly.
- National Private Investigator Badge – This private eye crest is master crafted and is perfect for any private investigator who wishes to carry an official identifier of their craft. It is made of durable metal, has a high luster finish and clip attachment, and measures 3″ x 2 1/4″.
- Deluxe Security Enforcement Officer – “Security Enforcement Officer” rank insignia. Great for security guards and private eyes who specialize in providing protective or bodyguard services. Made of zinc alloy with nickel plating. Pin backing. Includes a place for the officer, detective, or security guard’s name to be stamped. The phrase “Liberty & Justice For All” is printed in the inside circle with American flags. The dimensions are 3.125″ x 2.25″. Options include Deluxe Silver – Public Safety SECURITY ENFORCEMENT OFFICER and the Deluxe Gold – Public Safety SECURITY ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.
Chief Supply carries a wide selection of badges from the top manufacturers. In addition, they offer wallets and holders, collar brass, nameplates, stickers, acrylic holders,
Smith & Warren – Manufactures emblems for police, fire departments, EMS, Sheriffs, security guards, and other public safety rank insignia. The company also provides nameplates, tie bars, collar letters and insignia, commendation bars, and more. Smith & Warren has a nationwide network of dealers. Visit Smith & Warren’s website to access their dealer locator.
Badge Wallets and Shield Holders
If you plan to purchase a badge, we highly recommend purchasing a protective wallet or holder. It will extend the life of the metal and make it easier to carry. Amazon.com has a wide selection of affordably priced wallets and shield holders. The ASR Federal Unisex Law Enforcement Badge Holder is one of the most highly rated. It is made of 100% genuine leather and has a built-in protector.
- Made of Cowhide, Black, Metal Clip and Stainless Steel Chain Included, Heavy Duty For Professional Use.
- Badge Size: 3.9″ x 3.1″, 31″ Long Chain.
- Universal Leather Badge Holder: for Cop, Detective, SWAT, FBI, NYPD, DELTA, Police, SIGMA, Firefighter, Fugitive Recovery, Concealed Weapons Permit, Repossession, Detective, Law Enforcement, Security Officer, Military Official, Repossession, Army, Captain Badge etc.
- Wear Around Neck or On Belt, For Oval And Eagle Top Style Badges.
- Crafted of durable cowhide leather
- Photo and ID section
- Wallet dimensions are 4 3/4″ H x 3 1/2″ W
- Credit Card Slots: 8+
- Size: 7.5½ x 4.5½
- 【High-quality Material】The police badge holder belt clip is made of PU leather, metal clip and stainless steel ball chain, the best choice for professional and decorative accessories
- 【Package Includes】1 x police badge holder(3.9″ x 3.1″);1 x stainless steel ball chain (full length 60cm / 23.6 inches)
- 【Universal Oval Badge Holder】The belt badge holder law enforcement suitable for oval and eagle badges.Such as: Cop, Detective, SWAT, FBI, NYPD, Police, Firefighter,Detective, Law Enforcement, Security Officer,etc
- 【Multipurpose】Wear on the neck or belt.The belt badge holder is fixed inside the PU leather, has a permanent position, don’t worry about it accidentally falling off the belt. It is also equipped with an exquisite stainless steel ball chain that can be worn around the neck
- 【Unique Gift】The law enforcement badge holder as a ideal gifts.Birthday as a gift for boyfriend, Anniversary gifts for husband, Christmas gifts for men, Father’s Day gifts for dad
This badge holder wallet case is perfect for private investigators. The holder features a custom-shaped recessed shield holder section, a protector flap, and an ID display compartment. It is made of 100% black leather. Please note that the badge is not included in the case and must be purchased separately. Be sure to purchase one of the items above with the carrying case.