Handwriting Analysis, Graphology and Writing Evaluation Techniques
What is Handwriting Analysis?
Graphology is the scientific term for handwriting analysis. It is the study and analysis of handwriting, especially in relation to human psychology. The purpose is to attempt to reveal the character and personality of the writer. It involves the study of the written characters to determine certain personality traits. The study has been compared to a sort of body language.
How is the technique used?
- In criminology, graphology may be used to link an individual to crime scene evidence. Handwriting samples are taken from the suspect and compared to evidence, such as notes, signatures or messages left at the crime scene.
- In the medical field, graphology can be used to refer to the study of handwriting as an aid in the diagnosis and tracking of diseases of the brain and nervous system.
- Some psychologists and therapists may use this type analysis to assess certain personality traits of their patients.
- In business, this type of analysis can be used as part of an employment test or interview to determine the appropriate fit for certain positions. However, this practice is rarely used.
The term handwriting analysis is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to the forensic examination of a document. The process has been considered controversial for more than a century.
Although some supporters point to the anecdotal evidence of positive testimonials as a reason to use it for personality evaluation, most studies fail to show the validity claimed by its supporters. As a result, the practice is not widely used or relied upon.
What does a persons hand writing style say about their personality and character?
Graphologists say that a person’s cursive writing gives more insight into their personality. The manner in which you write letters and words on a page can indicate many different personality traits.
For example, if your writing tends to lean to the right, you are considered to be a more “open” person who likes to socialize.. If it tends to lean to the left, you prefer to work independently. If you are right-handed and your words slants to the left, it suggests that you may be rebellious. If it doesn’t lean, you are considered to be a logical and practical person.
The size of the letters is also meaningful. If your letters are large, it means you are someone who is outgoing with a big personality. If the letters are small, it means that you are focused, introspective and often shy. If the letters are usually of average height, you are a well-adjusted person who is adaptable.
These are just a few examples of the types of insight that can be gained by analyzing someone’s personl style.
What do private investigators need to know?
It is very common on investigation cases for detectives to analyze documents and other written evidence. Criminals may leave a note at the scene of the crime. In other cases, a criminal or even an ex-spouse may write a threatening letter to another individual.
In general private investigators should be aware of the practice and how it might be used to link evidence to people. When this is needed, a private investigator should know where to go (who to hire) to get an analysis done.
Where to find additional information
Following are websites that information on handwriting analysis (graphology):
- American Association of Handwriting Analysts (AAHA) – The AAHA is a professional association of analysts and graphological experts, analysis resources and tools.
- American Society of Professional Graphologists (ASPG) – The ASPG is a society of professional graphologists and professions who work to further handwriting analysis through education, research and academics.
- Dark Corner Graphology – This website allows viewers to learn analysis, analyze samples online, and download software.
- Handwriting Analyst Group – This group promotes and conducts analyses. Their website includes frequently asked questions, a list of related organizations and a selection of books.
- Handwritingpro – Graphology, analysis, character traits, behavior profiles, personality portraits.
- Institute of Graphology and Personal Success – A learning resource for the new graphology enthusiast. Site includes downloads and networking opportunities with like-minded people. Learn how to become a graphologist.
- International Handwriting Analysis Society – Articles and resources for use by private investigators and everyday people.
- Personality Traits in Handwriting – Interpretation through the Moretti graphological system by Lidia Fogarolo.