A calculator is a device for performing mathematical calculations. Calculators can come in physical form or can be in the form of software on a computer or mobile device. Some calculating devices have specialized functions and some are completely specialized for particular purposes.
List of Online Calculators
Following is a list of various online calculators and online converters. We included a wide variety of websites to provide access to the large number of tools available on the web.
- Body Height Weight Converter – Website that helps you convert from American to metric units and vice versa. Works with Feet, Inches, Pounds, Centimeters And Kilograms. This could be helpful for investigators who need to convert from centimeters to inches, for example.
- Convertalot – A large collection of free Java measurements converters, calc, unit translators and Java Games with downloadable source code and zip files that can be used to integrate into your own site.
- Conversion Factors for Energy Equivalents – The Physics laboratory of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) sponsors and maintains this reference resource of CODATA-recommended values of fundamental physical restraints. A good resource with many different tools. Only provides a few programs.
- EngNet Engineering Units Converter – Provided by the Engineering Network. This website provides an online calculator which does conversions between a number of common (and not so common) units. Includes such categories as: Acceleration, angles, velocity, length, mass flow, power, pressure, time, temperature, volume and weight.
- eFunda: Units and Constants – The index page for units, fundamental constants, and currencies. Includes unique tools for converting thermal, magnetic, permeability, hardness, viscosity and more.
- Online Conversion – This site allows you to convert just about Anything to Anything else, with over 8,000 Conversions and Calculators for almost every purpose imaginable.
- Science Made Simple – The Science Made Simple site is an online metric converter that gives U.S. customary and metric conversions. The site includes such forms as area, speed, currency, distance, time, volume, weight, power, pressure, fuel economy, fractions to decimals, metrics and more.
List of Common Measurements
- Tablespoon –
- Pint – 16 fluid ounces
- Quart – two pints
- Gallon – 4 quarts or 8 pints
- Twelve inches in a foot
- Three feet in a yard
- Mile = 5280 feet or 1760 yards
- Nautical Mile = 6,076 feet
List of Time Measurements
- 60 seconds in a minute
- 60 minutes in an hour
- 24 hours in a day
- Seven days in a week
- 52 weeks in a year
- 28 to 31 days in a month
- 365 days in a year
- 12 months in a year
- Ten 10 years in a decade
- 1000 years in a millenium
What Do Private Investigators Need to Know
Private investigators deal with many different types of data on a regular basis. Crime scene investigators analyze evidence and data from a crime scene. Accident investigators analyze data about vehicles and the environment to investigate car accidents. Case after case, private eyes deal with numbers and sometimes those numbers need to be converted from one measurement system to another. Utilize the tools below to convert data from one format to another as needed.
If you know of a resource that might be helpful to others, please leave a comment below. Also, view more Lists.