For Dummies books are a popular series of instructional reference books that provide easy-to-understand guides on various topics. Dummies books are basically “how-to books” that are well-organized and usually follow a standard pattern, including sections known as “parts.”
Many For Dummies books are available on investigation-related topics such as cryptology, forensics, genealogy, hacking and legal matters. In the collection, you’ll also find a wide variety of helpful instruction guides and manuals for starting a business, managing employees and contractors, and understanding financial matters.
These books will help you learn about the topic without going too far into the weeds. Plus, they serve as a great reference tool for future use.
List of For Dummies Books Available at Amazon.com
Adoption For Dummies
This book is a helpful reference guide on adoption. It simplifies and explains the process of adopting a child. For example, it breaks down who is involved in the process and how long it takes. Also, it provides insight into how much it might cost, things to prepare for, and more.
Often, private detectives are hired to investigate adoptions or track down adopted children, so this book may help you learn some background before accepting a case.
Cryptography for Dummies – Learn about cryptography, the process of reading or writing messages or codes.
Computer Viruses – If you’re involved in investigating computer crimes or hackers, use this For Dummies book to learn about how computer viruses are used to commit financial crimes and how ISP tools and PC software to stop viruses.
Computer Security – Learn about the processes and tools used to keep computers and networks secure through virus protection software, firewalls, encryption, and more.
Divorce for Dummies – If you’re considering a divorce, this book will help you understand your rights and will help save you money if working with an attorney or how to avoid an attorney altogether.
Everyday Law Kit – Get the essential tools everyone needs to understand the law and various legal matters.
Forensics For Dummies
This book is a helpful reference guide for forensics and crime scene investigation. It is written by a doctor who also served as a consultant on the Law & Order television show.
The book uses real-life case studies to explain how to determine the cause, the time of death, how to take fingerprints, and blood samples, ballistics analysis, and forensic computing and psychology.
Genealogy Online for Dummies – Private detectives are often hired to find long-lost relatives, loved ones, and missing persons. Learn how to conduct genealogical research and how to build family trees.
- Hacking for Dummies – If you’re a criminal investigator, especially one specializing in investigating computer crimes and fraud, you’ll enjoy this handy reference guide explaining the basics of hacking. Learn about hackers’ tools and techniques to break into computers and penetrate networks.
- Hacking Wireless Networks – Learn how hackers break into networks using wi-fi or wireless access.
- Law for Dummies – This book helps you understand your legal rights and responsibilities and how to use the law without hiring an attorney. It enables you to understand the United States legal system, how to resolve problems quickly, and how to avoid legal hassles.
- Law School For Dummies – A book that offers insight into the law school experience for prospective law school students.
- Patents, Copyrights & Trademarks for Dummies – Explains intellectual property rights, patents, etc. How to acquire, register and maintain intellectual property rights, patents and copyrights to protect yourself and your company.
Buy these and other For Dummies Books at Amazon.com and start building your detective library. Whether you need to sharpen your skills or learn about a new area, these books are one of the fastest ways to develop your knowledge.
Questions and Comments
If you have questions about this list of For Dummies books for private investigators, please comment below.