Overview of the Monk TV Series
Monk is an American crime television series drama that ran on the USA television network. Andy Breckman created the original series. On the popular hit show, Tony Shalhoub stars as Adrian Monk. The show is primarily a mystery series that features broadly comic touches related to the main character’s insecurities. The Monk TV series debuted on July 12, 2002, and ran through December 2009.
The main character, Adrian Monk, is a former homicide detective who had a nervous breakdown after the death of his wife. After recovering, he began working as a private detective. The character has a number of compulsive habits and phobia. These fears often get in the way of his detective work and annoy others who are working on the case. He also has an extreme case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The condition ends up costing him his job as a homicide detective. He often tries to overcome his fears in various ways.
Most of the show’s plots are about solving a murder. Sometimes the killer’s identity is obvious and the focus is on proving their guilt. In other cases, they don’t know who the killer is and they must track them down.
Production Company and Executive Producers
The series had a number of production companies throughout its run, including: Mandeville Films, Touchstone Television, USA Cable Entertainment (first three seasons), NBC Universal Television Studio (seasons three to six), Universal Media Studios (6), Universal Cable Productions (7 and 8) and USA Network Original Programming (1 to 3). NBCUniversal Television Distribution is the distributor. The executive producers are Andy Breckman, David Hoberman, Tony Shalhoub, Tom Scharpling and Rob Thompson.
List of Monk TV Series Episodes
The Monk TV series ran for eight seasons and a total of 125 episodes. Each episode ranged from 40 to 45 minutes long. All of the episodes are available to stream online via Amazon Video.
The first season includes a total of 12 episodes. The DVD set includes additional special features. Following is a list of episode titles:
- S1, E1 – Mr. Monk and the Candidate (Part 1)
- S1, E2 – Mr. Monk and the Candidate (Part 2)
- S1, E3 – Mr. Monk and the Psychic
- S1, E4 – Mr. Monk Meets Dale the Whale
- S1, E5 – Mr. Monk Goes to the Carnival
- S1, E6 – Mr. Monk Goes to the Asylum
- S1, E7 – Mr. Monk and the Billionaire Mugger
- S1, E8 – Mr. Monk and the Other Woman
- S1, E9 – Mr. Monk and the Marathon Man
- S1, E10 – Mr. Monk Takes a Vacation
- S1, E11 – Mr. Monk and the Earthquake
- S1, E12 – Mr. Monk and the Red-Headed Stranger
- S1, E13 – Mr. Monk and the Airplane
- Monk – Season Two on DVD (2002) – Includes all episodes
- Season Three on DVD (2002) – Includes 16 episodes from the third season and five featurettes.
- Television Series – Season Four on DVd (2002)
- Season Five on DVD (2002) – All 16 episodes from the fifth season in a four-disc set, plus bonus features.
- Season Six on DVD – All 16 episodes from the sixth season.
- The Seventh Season includes all of the episodes from the final year.
- Season 8
Buy the Complete Series on DVD
In addition, the series entire run is available from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Individual seasons are available, as well as a 32-disc set containing the entire series. Many of the individual DVD’s contain bonus content such as cast interviews and featurettes.
This is a 32-disc DVD set that includes all of the episodes from all eight seasons of the series. The set includes special features that explain things about the character. Special topics include his origins, his OCD, character profiles and much more. In addition, some seasons include commentary, a look behind the scenes and an overview of the writing process. The complete set has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on more than 700 reviews.
Below is a video of the season 1 trailer:
List of Monk TV Series Cast Members
- Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk
- Bitty Schram as Sharona Fleming
- Traylor Howard as Natalie Teeger
- Ted Levine as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer
- Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Randy Disher
Ratings and Awards
The series received numerous nominations and awards. It won eight Emmy Awards, one Golden Globe Award and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- The series has a rating of 8 out of 10 stars on IMDB
- The series has a rating of 9.1 out of 10 stars on TV.com
- 95% of Google users indicate they like the show
- The series has a rating of 5 out 5 stars on Amazon Video (the only five star rating we’ve seen)
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions or comments about the Monk TV series, please feel free to post them below. Also, check out other Investigation TV Shows.