What is a library?
A library is a collection of information, sources, resources, books, and services, and the structure in which it is housed. Libraries are usually organized for use and maintained by a public body such as a school or university, an institution, or a private individual.
Public and institutional library collections and services may be intended for use by people who choose not to, or cannot afford to, purchase an extensive collection themselves, who need material no individual can reasonably be expected to have, or who require professional assistance with their research.
However, with the collection of media other than books for storing information, many libraries are now also repositories and access points for maps, prints, or other documents and works of art on various storage media such as microform (microfilm or microfiche), audio tapes, CDs, LPs, cassettes, videotapes, and DVDs.
Libraries may also provide public facilities to access CD-ROMs, subscription databases, and via the Internet.
Thus, modern libraries are increasingly being redefined as places to get unrestricted access to information in many formats and from many sources. In addition to providing materials, they also provide the services of specialists, librarians, who are experts at finding and organizing information and at interpreting information needs.
More recently, libraries are understood as extending beyond the physical walls of a building, by including material accessible by electronic means, and by providing the assistance of librarians in navigating and analyzing tremendous amounts of knowledge with a variety of digital tools.
The term “library” has itself acquired a secondary meaning: “a collection of useful material for common use,” and in this sense is used in fields such as computer science, mathematics and statistics, electronics and biology.
Government & Public Libraries
The following is a list of government or public libraries:
- Air Force University Library and Press
- Ask a Librarian
- Center for the Book in the Library of Congress
- Cyber and Internet Security Topics
- Defense Pentagon Library
- Department of the Interior Librar
- Department of Transportation Library
- Depository Library Council News and Updates
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Library
- Federal Government Department and Agency Librarie
- Federal Library and Information Center Committe
- Fermilab Information Resources Department (U.S. Department of Energy)
- Government RSS Librar
- Labor Library (Wirtz Labor Law Library)
- Libraries, Archives and Records Management Offices, by State
- Library Locator
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress Listservs
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Library Statistics Program
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library
- Military Educational Research Library Network
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration – Glenn Technical Library
- National Agricultural Library
- National Archives Research Room
- National Center for Atmospheric Research Library
- National Defense University Library
- National Institutes of Health Library Online
- National Library of Medicine
- National Library Services for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Central Library
- National Park Service Libraries
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Library
- National Transportation Library
- Naval Postgraduate School Library
- Northwest and Alaska Fisheries Science Centers’ Library
- Patent and Trademark Depository Library Program
- Podcasts from the U.S. Government
- Presidential Libraries
- Public Libraries
- Public Libraries
- Public Library Locator
- Ralph J. Bunche Library (U.S. Department of State)
- RSS Feeds from the U.S. Government
- Scientific Library, National Cancer Institute – Frederick