This article provides an overview of the Remington Steele TV Series. The overview includes general information about the series, the cast, season episodes, and ratings.
Remington Steele is an American TV series produced by MTM Enterprises and was initially broadcast on the NBC network from 1982 to 1987. Robert Butler and Michael Gleason created the show.
The Remington Steele television show combined the standard TV detective genre with ironic plotting and romantic comedy elements between the two main stars. The show’s main characters carry on a constant behind-the-scenes battle about who is actually in charge of the investigation agency.
Much of the detective work that is going on is centered around figuring out how the other person feels. The show was also considered the forerunner of Moonlighting, another top-rated hit series.
Remington Steele’s Main Cast and Characters
The Remington Steele TV series starred actress Stephanie Zimbalist as private detective Laura Holt. Realizing that people are less likely to hire a woman to do detective work, she created the fictitious name “Remington Steele” for the investigation agency.
Actor Pierce Brosnan plays a rogue, former white-collar thief and con man who assumes the fictitious identity of Remington Steele and begins working for the agency. Originally, Brosnan was brought on to play Remington but was intended to serve as a figurehead only. However, as he became more popular, his role increased significantly.
Many thought that, eventually, he completely overshadowed Stephanie Zimbalist, the show’s original star. Oddly, NBC executives initially refused the role because he was relatively unknown at the time.
The primary actors and actresses are:
- Pierce Brosnan, who stars as Remington Steele
- Stephanie Zimbalist, who played Laura Holt
- Doris Roberts as Mildred Krebs
- Janet Demay as Bernice Foxe
- James Read as Murphy Michaels
- Jack Scalia as Tony Roseli
In addition, the show had a wide variety of recurring cast members and famous guest stars throughout the seasons.
Remington Steele Season Episodes
The Remington Steele TV Series ran for a total of five seasons, including 94 episodes. Each ran for a total of 60 minutes. The shows are available for purchase on DVD at Amazon.com. Packages include features such as cast interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and more.
- Season 1 on DVD – includes a total of 22 episodes
- Season 2 on DVD – includes a total of 22 episodes
- Season 3 on DVD – includes a total of 22 episodes
- Season 4 – includes a total of 22 episodes
- Season 5 – 6 episodes. The final abbreviated season consisted of six hours of made-for-TV films.
The hit series is also available on online streaming sites such as Hulu.
The opening theme is “The Remington Steele Theme,” by Henry Mancini. The ending theme is “Laura Holt’s Tune,” also composed by Henry Mancini.
Reviews and Ratings
The series was generally well-rated with the viewing audience.
- The series is rated 7.3 out of 10 stars on IMDB
- The series is rated 8.4 out of 10 stars on TV.com
- 89% of Google Users indicate they like the show
- The series has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon Video
- It is not rated on Rotten Tomatoes
Remington Steele TV Series Trailer
Watch all of the season episodes on Amazon Video.
Questions and Comments
Please feel free to post a message below if you have any questions or comments about the Remington Steele TV series. Also, check out other Police Crime Dramas on DVD.
Remington Steele was one of my all-time favorite TV crime dramas.