A prison, penitentiary, or correctional facility is a place in which individuals are physically confined and are deprived of a range of personal freedoms. Prisons are operated by city, county, state, federal and military officials.
Individuals in prisons and corrections facilities have been either charged with a crime or convicted of a crime. Individuals who have been charged with a crime are incarcerated until they are brought to trial or released. Those who are officially charged with a crime will remain in a prison or jail facility until they completed the duration of their sentence.
Corrections refers to the supervision of persons arrested for, convicted of, or sentenced for criminal offenses. Correctional populations fall into two general categories: institutional corrections and community corrections.
An inmate is a person confined to an institution such as a prison (as a convict) or hospital (as a patient).
Following are resources for prisons, correctional institutions, jails, and inmate searches.
- Amnesty International – Amnesty international is a global network of human rights activists who campaign to end abuses of human rights. Their website provides resources, news, and data on human rights abuses around the world.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics Corrections Page – Provides data and research on state and federal prisoners, jail populations, probation, and administrative data on jail facilities and staff.
- Corrections Connection Network – Provides news, data and vendor intelligence for the corrections community. Provides resources, tools and forums for corrections professionals.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons – The Federal Bureau of Prisons website provides information on Federal prison facilities, prison population statistics, inmate locator search tools, and information on Federal careers and jobs.
- PrisonMap.com – PrisonMap.com shows aerial photos of prisons in the United States.
- Prison Policy Initiative – Attempts to document the impact of mass incarceration on individuals and communities in an attempt to improve the criminal justice system. The organization produces cutting edge research to expose harm created by mass incarceration and then sponsors advocacy campaigns to create awareness about the issues.
- Prison Watch – Provides information on international and regional prison rules and statistics