List of Tips for Hiring a Professional Private Investigator
Want to hire a private investigator or P.I.? Need a private detective to track down a long lost love or missing relative? Do you need a private eye to conduct surveillance on your cheating spouse? A good detective can help with these services and more.
However, all detectives are not the same. Doing some due diligence before you make a hiring decision can pay off in the long run. It is important to check resumes, visit company websites, call references, and verify licensing credentials before you enter into an agreement or contract.
Following are some suggestions to help guide your decision:
- Hire a licensed private investigator. Most states require investigators to be fully licensed. Check with the state licensing agency to verify an investigative license. Links to most state private detective licensing agencies are listed on the corresponding state page in our directory.
- Ask to see a physical copy of their license. Verify that the license was issued by the appropriate state agency, check the expiration data, and verify the name.
- Check with the appropriate state’s private investigator associations to verify memberships, obtain feedback and recommendations. Associations and professional agencies can be a great resource for checking out reputations.
- As for references. Speak with the references personally to obtain information on the detective’s performance, ethical standards, ease of doing business, results achieved or outcome of the case, etc.
- Ask the individual you wish to hire to provide a resume or personal dossier. Evaluate the work history for relevant experience. Look for experience in the military, law enforcement, government organizations, crime scene specialists, etc. Check for relevant education such as degrees in criminal justice, criminology, and forensic science. Also, look for special training and continuing education credentials.
- Ask the person or agency you are considering to provide examples of their work (sample client reports, newspaper articles, success stories, etc.).
- Agree on pricing upfront before hiring a private investigator. Discuss requirements for a retainer, hourly fees, flat fees, expense reimbursement, etc.
- Discuss and agree upon the services you wish the private eye to provide, and agree upon the results you expect. If both parties have a clear understanding of the expectations, it is easier to gauge performance and increases the likelihood that both parties will be satisfied with the results. In addition, having a signed contract is always a good idea.
- Before you hire a private investigator, meet them in person if you can, preferably at their place of business, agency office, etc. Many detectives don’t have an official office, and don’t necessarily need one to get results. But if they do, visiting their office will help you gain comfort on their legitimacy and perhaps the quality of their business operation.
- Find out whether the private eye is properly insured (i.e. liability insurance, bonded, etc.). During the course of their work, the investigator may become injured or damage someone else’s property. You could be indirectly liable for damages.
- Discuss the information sources, techniques and methods the private eye might use. Be aware of any unethical or unbelievable claims. Avoid doing business with those who openly suggest breaking the law.
- Check their website. Do they have one? If so, is it a quality site with good information? We recommend checking out their website prior to making a phone call. Use our Private Investigator Directory to find links to the website. If the website doesn’t exist, or the link to the website is dead, it is possible they are out of business.
Following these simple guidelines will help you hire an investigator or agency or company that provides quality service.
Following are *luxembourgian* private investigators and investigation agencies in Luxembourg. Before hiring a detective or agency, contact the appropriate licensing
Following are private investigators in Australia. Before hiring a detective in Australia, contact the appropriate licensing authority to confirm current
Following are private investigators and private investigation agencies in Turkey. Before hiring a private investigator or private detective agency in