Tennessee Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in Tennessee is handled by the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance – Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission.
State of Tennessee
Department of Commerce and Insurance
Division of Regulatory Boards
Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1167
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees and any special licensing requirements.
In order to hold a valid Tennessee Private Investigator License the applicant/licensee must be affiliated with a licensed Tennessee Private Investigators Company.
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien
- Not have been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease (unless subsequently declared competent by a court of competent jurisdiction)
- Affiliated with a licensed Tennessee PI company or license own company
- Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence
- Be of good moral character
- Meet examination and continuing education requirements
- Applicant must submit fingerprint cards for processing by TBI and FBI for criminal history check.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
Tennessee Private Investigator Associations
- Tennessee Professional Investigators Associations (TPIA) – TPIA was created exclusively for private detectives in the state of Tennessee. The association represents the interests of private eyes in the state legislature and provides training and education resources for its members.
- Tennessee Association of Licensed Private Investigator (TALPI) – TALPI is a self-regulating group of independent, professional investigators who work to increase awareness and educate the public about investigative services in Tennessee. TALPI offers information about ground breaking methods and technology through continuing education courses and monthly meetings.
Hire a Private Detective
- Hire a Private Investigator in Tennessee – To hire a private investigator in Tennessee, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of obtaining a license in Wisconsin by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.