Please read the following if you want to know how to get a private investigator’s license in Tennessee. The article provides information on the licensing authority, including their contact information. In addition, it provides a general list of licensing requirements, information on associations and training.
Tennessee Private Investigator Licensing Authority
Private Investigator licensing in Tennessee is handled by the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance – Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission.
Licensing Authority Contact Information
State of Tennessee
Department of Commerce and Insurance
Division of Regulatory Boards
Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1167
General Licensing Requirements
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
In order to hold a valid Tennessee Private Investigator License the applicant/licensee must be affiliated with a licensed Tennessee Private Investigators Company.
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien
- Not have been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease (unless subsequently declared competent by a court of competent jurisdiction)
- Affiliated with a licensed Tennessee PI company or license own company
- Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence
- Be of good moral character
- Meet examination and continuing education requirements
- Applicants must submit fingerprint cards for processing by TBI and FBI for criminal history checks.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
Tennessee Private Investigator Associations
Once you get a license, we recommend joining one of the private investigator industry associations in the state. Following are the top two:
- Tennessee Professional Investigators Associations (TPIA) – TPIA was created exclusively for private detectives in the state of Tennessee. The association represents the interests of private eyes in the state legislature and provides training and education resources for its members.
- Tennessee Association of Licensed Private Investigator (TALPI) – TALPI is a self-regulating group of independent, professional investigators who work to increase awareness and educate the public about investigative services in Tennessee. TALPI offers information about groundbreaking methods and technology through continuing education courses and monthly meetings.
List of Investigation Agencies
If you are ready to look for employment, view our list of Private Investigators in Tennessee. Contact the investigation agencies on the list to see if they are hiring.
Training and Education
View a list of private investigator Training Resources. Improve your chances of obtaining a license by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.
Learn More about Licensing
Think you might be interested in pursuing a career as a private investigator? Browse through the pages of this eBook to learn about the services provided by private investigators, the typical work environment, career outlook, and salary range. Plus learn the basic licensing requirements for each state and where to find more information. Includes sections on training and education, PI associations and more. Buy the eBook at Amazon.