How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in Rhode Island
Rhode Island Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Currently, private investigator licensing in the State of Rhode Island is handled by the city or town in which the private investigator resides. Applicants who wish to obtain a private investigator license in Rhode Island must meet two of the following requirements:
- Prior law enforcement experience
- A degree in criminal justice
- Five years of documented experience working for a licensed private investigator.
See also the state Law on private investigators.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
Rhode Island Private Investigator Associations
- Licensed Private Detectives Association of Rhode Island – LPDARI was formed in 1998 by a group of professional investigators to provide networking and education opportunities for private detectives. The association has grown into an informational association that works hard to influence legislation that benefits the private detective profession in the state.
Hire a Private Detective
- Hire a Private Investigator in Rhode Island – To hire a private eye in Rhode Island, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of obtaining a license in Wisconsin by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.