This article explains how to get a private investigator’s license in Louisiana. It provides information on the state licensing authority and the general requirements to get licensed. In addition, it provides recommendations for joining an investigation association and how to get training and education.
State Licensing Authority
Private investigator licensing in the state of Louisiana is handled by the Louisiana State Board of Private Investigators Examiners.
Licensing Authority Contact Information
Louisiana State Board of Private Investigators Examiners
7414 Perkins Rd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Phone: 1-800- 299-9696 or 225-763- 3556
Fax: 225-763- 353
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees, and any special licensing requirements. The applicant:
- Is of legal age (18)
- Is a citizen of the United States or a resident alien holding proper documentation to work in the United States
- Has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of any felony or of a crime involving moral turpitude
- Has not been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction to be incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease which has not been restored
- Is not a practicing alcoholic or drug addict
- If a corporation, shall be incorporated under the laws of this state or shall be duly qualified to do business within this state with a valid certificate of authority issued by the Secretary of State, and shall have an agent for service of process designated as required by law
- If in the discretion of the Board, the applicant provides inadequate information to allow the Board to ascertain whether the applicant satisfied the qualifications for licensure, the applicant shall be required to provide additional information for the purpose of the
application, or may be required to present himself/herself for an interview for this purpose
- A “Private investigation agency license”; issued to any person or entity, as defined in RS 37:3503 (8), where the individual seeking license or the partner of the partnership seeking licensure or the principal corporate officer of the corporation seeking license (visit the website listed above for more detailed information on legal codes and statutes)
- Has at least three years of experience within the last ten years either working as a private investigator or in an investigative capacity
- Satisfies all other requirements for licensing
Visit the website for information and resources related to the application process, governing laws, rules and regulations, and more. The official requirements may change, so please visit the website for the most up-to-date instructions related to the licensing application process.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for details or buy the Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook.
Louisiana Private Investigator Associations
Once you obtain your license, join an industry association to network with others, get access to training and develop a referral network. The largest association in the state is the Louisiana Private Investigators Association (LPIA). The LPIA promotes ethical practices in the profession of private investigators. The LPIA website provides information for existing and aspiring private detectives, member benefits, history, events, and links of interest. We are a non-profit professional trade organization and not a licensing authority.
List of Agencies in Louisiana
Applicants in the state are required to have three years of investigation experience. This means you will need to find an existing agency in the state to hire you in some investigative capacity. View a List of Investigation Agencies in Louisiana.
Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.