How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in California

How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in California

California Private Investigator Licensing Requirements

Private investigator licensing in California is handled by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services. For more information on how to become a licensed investigator in California, verify the license of a detective, and more, visit their website at, or view the State Law on Private Investigator licenses.

Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.

State Private Investigator Associations

Associations are a great resource for both aspiring and existing P.I.’s. We highly recommend joining a state or national association to take advantage of the training, resource and networking opportunities offered by such organizations. They can be a great source of business through information and case sharing. Also, they are a great way to stay informed of legislative changes and legal issues.

  • California Association of Licensed Investigators – The largest private investigator association in the world. Join and take advantage of their broad membership base to network and learn from others.
  • Certified Investigative Professionals – Certified Investigative Professionals Inc. ® (CIPI), is a membership organization consisting of investigative professionals and affiliates, whose mission is to promote a standard of excellence among individual investigators, enhance public confidence in the profession, and represent the industry in business, education, and political forums
  • California Associate Photocopiers and Process Servers (CCAPPS)
  • California Association of Polygraph Examiners

Hire a Private Detective

Hire a Private Investigator in California –  Many states require that newly licensed P.I.’s must be sponsored by an existing agency for a period of time. Visit our directory to find a private investigation agency to sponsor you as a beginning private eye.

Additional Information

Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a certificate or degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.

Related Articles

How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in West Virginia

West Virginia Private Investigator Licensing Requirements If you want to become a private investigator in West Virginia, licensing in the

How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in Missouri

Missouri Private Investigator Licensing Requirements Private Investigator licensing in the state of Missouri is handled by the Missouri Division of

How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in Mississippi

Mississippi Private Investigator Licensing Requirements Currently, a private investigator license is not required for the state of Mississippi.  Since laws

1 comment

Write a comment
  1. Barrycooter
    Barrycooter 8 December, 2015, 23:35

    I, already have my Criminal Justice,Diploma: Private Investigator Diploma:Fireman investigation experience,Department Security Manager,with bomb threats calls experience,investigate building damaged. I, need to work for Company’s for the requirments.

    Reply this comment

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*