How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in Arizona
Arizona Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
The Arizona Department of Public Safety, Licensing Unit is responsible for private investigator licensing in the state of Arizona.
Arizona Department of Public Safety
PO Box 6328, MD 1160
Phoenix, AZ 85005
Phone: (602) 223-2361
Fax: (602) 223-2938
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees and any special licensing requirements.
- At least 18 years old
- S. citizen or legal resident
- No felony convictions
- Not under indictment for a felony
- No registered sex offenders
- Not on parole or probation
- No misdemeanor convictions in the last five years for violent acts, fraud, theft, domestic violence, sexual misconduct or narcotics violations. This holds true even if the conviction was set aside.
- Never convicted of attempting to act as a PI without a license
Arizona Private Investigator Associations
- Arizona Association of Licensed Private Investigators (AALPI) – The AALPI association website provides membership information, links to investigative information, conferences, and recent news.
Hire a Private Detective
- Hire a Private Investigation Agency in Arizona – Visit our directory of private eyes and private investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification requirements and help you meet state licensing requirements.
- Currently, there are no additional training courses required to get a private detective license in Arizona.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.