Avoid Lottery and Inheritance Scams
Lottery and inheritance scams have become a popular form of fraud. Fraudsters are able to produce documents, such as checks or award letters, which appear to be authentic. Victims can be easily fooled by the convincing appearance of the communications and the promise of money.
Here are a few tips to share with your family, friends, and clients:
- If you didn’t play a lottery, you didn’t win
- Ignore communications from foreign lotteries
- Legitimate lotteries don’t require winners to pay fees to collect winnings
- Check with relatives about recent deaths in your family
- Never give out personal or financial information to anyone over the Internet or telephone
- Be very skeptical of unsolicited letters, calls, or emails informing you that you’ve won a lottery.