What is a Security Guard?
A Security Guard or Security Officer is usually a privately-employed person who is paid (directly or through a security-related company) to protect property and/or people. Security officers and security guards:
- Wear a security guard uniform
- Act to protect property by maintaining a high visibility presence
- Deter illegal and/or inappropriate actions
- Observing (either directly, through patrols, or by watching alarm systems or video cameras) for signs of crime, fire or disorder
- Take action and/or report incidents to their client, employer and emergency services as appropriate
Security Guard Resources and Websites
Security Guards – U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook on Security Guards. Describes the nature of the work performed by security professionals, the security job outlook, information on training and advancement, how much a security guard may expect to earn, and more.
Security Guard Books – View a list of books related to the security guard profession. Learn how to start a career as a security guard, and get security guard training.
Security Guard Companies and Security Websites
Arrow Security – Arrow Security provides security consultancy along with long and short-term Security Guard Services and Patrol Services.
Allied Barton Security Services – AlliedBarton Security Services is the largest American-owned security officer services company. Established in 1957, AlliedBarton is a trusted leader with proven expertise in a number of markets.