Oregon Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in the state of Oregon is handled by the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST).
Licensing Authority Contact Information
Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training
4190 Aumsville Hwy SE
Salem, Oregon 97317
See also, the Oregon State law on private investigators. Visit the website for the specific information, applications and forms required to obtain your private investigator license in Oregon.
General Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
- Complete a PI-1 application
- Secure a surety bond, irrevocable letter of credit or errors and omissions insurance in the minimum amount of $5000 with your name listed as principal
- Complete one fingerprint card in a tamper-proof bag along with the fingerprint affidavit form
- Complete three professional letters of reference. References cannot be related to you by blood or marriage
- Submit proof of 1500 hours (via your resume) of professional work experience if applying for a private investigators license. No proof of experience required if applying for a provisional investigators license. (Some educational substitution may apply)
- Complete two passport quality photographs. (Photos should be submitted electronically at email@example.com. *The digital photo must meet certain criteria, see below for explanation. No copies or laser printer copies will be accepted)
- PI-27 (Private Investigator Professional Code of Ethics)
- Review the list of criminal disqualifiers in Oregon Administrative Rules Division 61
- Submit a one-time $70.75 application fee and the required $550 licensing fee (VISA/MC, cashier’s check, money order, or business check. No personal checks or cash). Please check the website listed above for the most current fee amounts.
- Once your completed application packet is processed you will be registered to take the PI Proficiency Exam. Visit the website listed above for a calendar of class availability.
Note: If you need to obtain a temporary license in Oregon, you must obtain a private investigator bond or an irrevocable letter of credit.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
The Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook: How to Get a Private Investigator License in any State
Think you might be interested in pursuing a career as a private investigator? Browse through the pages of this eBook to learn about the services provided by private investigators, the typical work environment, career outlook and salary range.
Plus learn the basic licensing requirements for each state and where to find more information. Includes sections on training and education, PI associations and more. Buy the eBook at Amazon today for just $2.99.
Oregon Private Investigator Associations
Oregon State Private Investigator Association – The state of Oregon’s premier investigation organization. OALI is not only the oldest but also the largest with paid membership. The OALI membership consists of investigative professionals and associates, whose mission since 1983 has been to promote a standard of excellence among individual investigators, enhance public confidence in the profession, provide training and represent the industry in public and political forums.
Find a Job as an Investigator
Once you have your license, it is time to start looking for a job. Use this list of Private Investigators in Oregon as a starting point. Contact the investigation agencies in your area and ask about open positions.
Training Resources – Improve your chances of obtaining a license in Wisconsin by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.