How To Become a Licensed Private Investigator in Illinois
Illinois Licensing Requirements
Private investigator licensing in the state of Illinois is handled by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation. The department issues licenses for private detective professions:
- Licensed Private Detective
- Licensed Private Detective Agency
- Licensed Private Detective Agency Branch Office
- Approved Training Course School
- Firearm Control Card (FCC)
- Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC)
- Firearm Instructor
- Approved 20-Hour Basic Training Program
- Approved Basic 40-Hour Firearm Training Course
Via the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation website, you can find out how to get licensed, lookup an existing licensee, and learn about the laws and rules that govern private eyes in the state of Illinois.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
Private Investigator Associations
- Associated Detectives & Security Agencies of Illinois – The ADSAI, formerly known as ADI is a state chartered, not for profit organization founded in 1933, incorporated in 1937 and organized for the betterment of the Detective and Security Professions.
Hire a Private Detective in Illinois
- Hire a Private Investigator Agency in Illinois – To hire a private eye in Illinois, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a professional degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed and begin your career.
Maryland Private Investigator Licensing Requirements Private Investigator Licensing in the State of Maryland is handled by the Maryland State Police,
Utah Private Investigator Licensing Requirements Private Investigator licensing in Utah is handled by the Utah Department of Public Safety. Visit
Tennessee Private Investigator Licensing Requirements Private Investigator licensing in Tennessee is handled by the Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance