North Carolina Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in the state of North Carolina is handled by the North Carolina Private Protective Services Board. The Board is part of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety. Its purpose is to administer the licensing, education and training requirements for people or agencies engaged in private protective services in the state of North Carolina.
To obtain a private investigator license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age with a high school degree or equivalent
- Be a US citizen or a resident alien
- Be of good moral character with temperate habits (no criminal record, etc.)
In addition,you must have three years of experience in private investigative work, or three years in an investigative capacity as a member of a law enforcement agency or other governmental agency. Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required.
For more information, forms and details about the process, visit the state licensing website, or
- Contact via phone at 919-788-5320
- Visit or write the North Carolina Department of Public Safety at 512 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27604
The Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook: How to Get a Private Investigator License in any State
Think you might be interested in pursuing a career as a private investigator? Browse through the pages of this eBook to learn about the services provided by private investigators, the typical work environment, career outlook and salary range. Plus learn the basic licensing requirements for each states and where to find more information. Includes sections on training and education, PI associations and more. Buy the eBook at Amazon today for just $2.99.
North Carolina Private Investigator Associations
- North Carolina State Private Investigator Association – The North Carolina Association of Private Investigators, Inc. was chartered in 1987 and is the oldest association of Private Investigators in the state. Visit the website for more information about the organization and learn how to become a member. You’ll also find news articles, newsletters, and details of upcoming events and conferences in the area.
Hire a Private Detective in North Carolina
- North Carolina Private Investigator Directory – To hire a private investigator in North Carolina, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. If you’re an aspiring P.I., our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a private investigator degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the private investigation knowledge necessary to get licensed.