North Carolina Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in the state of North Carolina is handled by the North Carolina Private Protective Services Board. To obtain a private investigator license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age with a high school degree or equivalent
- Be a US citizen or a resident alien
- Be of good moral character with temperate habits (no criminal record, etc.)
In addition,you must have three years of experience in private investigative work, or three years in an investigative capacity as a member of a law enforcement agency or other governmental agency. Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
North Carolina Private Investigator Associations
- North Carolina State Private Investigator Association – The North Carolina Association of Private Investigators, Inc. was chartered in 1987 and is the oldest association of Private Investigators in the State
Hire a Private Detective in North Carolina
- North Carolina Private Investigator Directory – To hire a private investigator in North Carolina, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a private investigator degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the private investigation knowledge necessary to get licensed.