Indiana Licensing Authority
Private investigator licensing in the state of Indiana is handled by the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, Private Investigator & Security Guard Licensing Board.
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
Attn: Private Investigator & Security Guard Licensing Board
402 W Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, IN 46204
Staff Phone Number: (317) 234-3022
Staff Fax Number: (317) 233-4236
Staff Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website listed above for specific licensing information, application forms, insurance requirements, fees and any special licensing requirements.
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Demonstrates the necessary knowledge and skills, as determined by the board, to conduct a private investigator firm competently
- The board may not issue a private investigator firm license to a business entity unless one officer, in the case of a corporation; or one partner, in the case of a partnership; meets the personal qualifications as set out in subsection (a), unless otherwise provided the board may deny a license unless the applicant makes a showing satisfactory to the board that the applicant or, if the applicant is a business entity, the officer or partner
- Has not committed an act which, if committed by a licensee, would be grounds for the suspension or revocation of a license under this chapter;
- Has not been convicted of a felony; or misdemeanor that has a direct bearing upon the applicant’s ability to practice competently;
- Has not been refused a license under this chapter or had a license revoked;
- Has not, while unlicensed, committed or aided and abetted in the commission of an act for which a license is required by this chapter;
- Is not on probation or parole; and is not being sought under an active warrant against the applicant, officer, or partner.
Please visit the website listed above for a complete list of requirements and to learn the steps involved in the application process.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Please visit the state licensing website or the Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook for more information.
Indiana Private Investigator Associations
Indiana Association of Professional Investigators – Join professional organization of detectives in the state to stay informed of changes in the industry and network with others.
Hire a Private Detective
Hire a Private Investigator Agency in Indiana – Use our directory to find a list of P.I.’s in the state.
If you have any questions about how to get a private investigator license in Indiana, please post a comment below.