In computing, an operating system (OS) is an interface between hardware and the user. The operating is responsible for the management and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of a computer, that acts as a host for computing applications run on the machine.
One of the primary purposes of an operating system is to handle the resource allocation and access protection of the hardware. This relieves the application programmers from having to manage these details.
Private detectives may need to be familiar with various operating systems for a variety of reasons. First, they may specialize in providing PC forensic analysis or computer investigations. In this case, they will need to be very familiar with the various systems to know how to analyze activity, track down malicious code, identify errors and gather evidence.
Second, regardless of the types of investigations offered by your business, you will undoubtedly run a variety of operating systems on various electronic devices, such as computers, tablets and mobile devices. In this instance, private detectives should be familiar with how the system works to run their business most efficiently.
List of Common PC Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows – Currently active Windows operating systems include Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows runs on more computers than any other system in the world.
- Google Chromium OS – Google Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel and designed by Google to work with web applications and installed applications. Chrome is quickly growing in popularity due to its fast speed, stability and ease of use.
- Linux – Linux is an open-source operating system modeled on UNIX.
- Mac OSX – MAC OSX is a series of Unix-based graphical interface operating systems developed and marketed by Apple
- Unix – Unix is a widely used multi-user operating system.
Retired / Discontinued Operating Systems
- Amiga OS – Amiga OS was the proprietary native operating system of the Amiga and AmigaOne personal computers. It was developed first by Commodore International
- IBM and Microsoft’s OS/2
- Mac OS
- Windows 95, Windows 97, Windows 99, NT, Vista
Buy Operating System Software
The Leading File Undelete Software for Deleted File Recovery
WinUndelete™ is the leading undelete software for deleted files recovery. The software can:
- Recover deleted files from hard drives
- Recover deleted files from flash drives
- Recover deleted files from USB external drives
- Recover deleted files from digital camera cards, and more
WinUndelete recovers deleted files even after emptying the Recycle Bin, or using other deletion actions that bypass the Recycle Bin.
The software works with Microsoft Windows® 98/, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows and it’s very easy to use.
WinUndelete file recovery software has a unique and exclusive SmartScan technology that completes impossible recovery tasks that other software cannot touch — SmartScan quickly locates and restores deleted files that other undelete software could never find. WinUndelete can recover files and data from both FAT and NTFS file systems.
Deleted Files Recovery – Supported Situations
- Recovers computer files deleted even after you have emptied the Recycle Bin
- Recovers files deleted bypassing Recycle Bin
- Recovers Windows files deleted accidentally from a network shared drive
- Recovers files deleted from the DOS command prompt
- Recovers files deleted when you press Shift + Delete on the keyboard
- Recovers files deleted when you use the Move or Cut command
- Recovers files deleted in other applications or by viruses
- Even recovers files deleted before you installed the software program
WinUndelete Supported Storage
Allows you to recover files on the following types of storage devices:
- Hard drives (C: D: E: …)
- Floppy disks (A: B:)
- Digital media and digital camera cards
- External USB storage, flash drives
- Zip disks, Mo, Jaz disks, external hard drives
- Supports FAT12/16/32, NTFS and NTFS 5 file systems
- Focuses on “Windows Undelete”
- Supports Windows 98 to XP, Vista
- Recovers deleted files from Windows Server 2000, 2003 and 2008
- Performs non-destructive and read-only scan and file recovery
- Sorts files by name, type, size, date, and more
- Displays a straight list of files or shows you the entire folder structure
- Restores file original creation date or last modified date
- Supports Unicode and non-alphabet languages
- Filters files by extension and file type
- Bypasses temporary Internet files and zero length files
- Enables partial file name and path name search
- Enables saving deleted files to a WinUndelete image file before recovery
- Recovers and decompresses NTFS compressed data stream on the fly
- Previews images, plain text, and Microsoft Office documents before recovery
- Works safely, stands alone, without changing or harming your Recycle Bin.
Note: Due to the complex nature of data recovery, deleted files recovery is not always possible. In some situations, undelete software including WinUndelete may be unable to recover files after deletion due to overwriting, cross linking or other reasons. It is recommended to download and try the evaluation version first. It is easy and fast.