Utah Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in Utah is handled by the Utah Department of Public Safety. Visit the website to obtain the most updated and specific information on the requirements, download application forms, and to understand the education and exam requirements to become a private investigator in Utah. Applications should be made to:
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84129
You may apply for a private investigator license in the state of Utah if:
- You are at least 21 years of age
- You are a legal resident of Utah
- You are good moral character
In addition, you must have must have at least 2,000 hours of investigative experience. Attach copies of the “Verification of Investigative Experience” form to show your hours worked.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Please visit the state licensing website for more information.
Utah Private Investigator Associations
- Private Investigators Association of Utah (PIAU) – The PIAU provides helpful information for existing and aspiring private detectives. Visit the website to get the latest information and news about what is happening in the private detective industry in the state of Utah.
Hire a Private Detective
- Hire a Private Detective in Utah – To hire a private investigator in Utah, please visit our international directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources -Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a degree or certification program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.