Boston Legal TV Series Overview
The Boston Legal TV series is an American legal drama-comedy show that was created by David E. Kelley, who also created Alley McBeal, The Practice and Picket Fences. Boston Legal ran on the ABC television network from October 3, 2004, to December 8, 2008. The Boston Legal TV series is a spin off of the long-running Kelley series The Practice. The series originally began by focusing on the continued exploits of a former Practice cast character who joins a new firm.
It tells the story of a group of brilliant and emotionally charged attorneys who work at the Boston law firm of Crane, Poole & Schmidt. Many of the episodes are relevant to current social issues and balance drama, comedy and silliness. Much of the series success comes from the masterful work of James Spader and William Shatner. With episodes very similar to Alley McBeal, the ensemble cast deliver episodes that are quirky, lovable and entertaining.
List of Boston Legal TV Series Cast Members
- Alan Shore (played by James Spader)
- Claire Simms (Constance Zimmer)
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko)
- Denny Crane (played by William Shatner)
- Clarence Bell (Gary Anthony Williams)
- Jerry Espenson (Christian Clemenson)
- Carl Sack (John Larroquette)
- Denise Bauer (Julie Bowen)
- Garrett Wells (Justin Mentell)
- Sally Heep (Lake Bell)
- Mark Valley
- Monica Potter
- Paul Lewiston (René Auberjonois)
- Rhona Mitra
- Ryan Michelle Bathe
- Shirley Schmidt (Candice Bergen)
- Tara Summers
- Taraji P. Henson
- Saffron Burrows
Boston Legal Television Season Episodes on DVD
The Boston Legal TV Series ran for five seasons and 101 episodes. All of the episodes are available to watch on Amazon Video.
In addition, all of the seasons and episodes are available in a single DVD collection at Amazon.com. This package of 22 discs is “Amazon’s Choice” as the best product to buy if you like this series. Many of the discs contain bonus features such as featurettes, cast interviews and additional footage. To learn more about the package and read reviews, go to Boston Legal Season 1-5 Complete Collection.
Production Company, Distributors and Executive Producers
The Boston Legal TV series is produced by David E. Kelley Productions and 20th Century Fox Television. The series is distributed by 20th Television. The executive producers (at different times during the show’s run) were Bill D’Elia, David E. Kelley, Janet Leahy, Jeff Rake, Lawrence Broch, Mike Listo and Scott Kaufer.
Critical Response, Ratings and Awards
In its five-year run, Boston Legal was nominated for 22 Emmy Awards, and won five. William Shatner and James Spade both won Emmys for their performances. The Boston Legal TV series was also nominated for 4 Golden Globe Awards, and won one. The show also won a Peabody Award.
- The series is rated 8.4 out of 10 stars on IMDB, 8.8 out of 10 stars on TV.com and has a score of 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. In addition, 93% of Google users indicate they like the show.
- Also, the series has a 4.5 out of 5 star rating on Amazon Video based on more than 450 reviews.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions or comments about the Boston Legal TV series, please post a comment below. Also, check out reviews of other police crime dramas and detective TV series.