The Streets of San Francisco is a 1970s television police drama series filmed on location in San Francisco, California, USA. The Streets of San Francisco TV series was produced by Quinn Martin Productions, with the first season produced in association with Warner Bros. Television. Quinn Martin Productions produced the TV series for the remainder of its run.
The Streets of San Francisco series is an old-school styles] cop show that starred Karl Malden and Michael Douglas as police detectives in the Bay Area. Karl Malden plays a 20-year police veteran that is joined up with partner Michael Douglas as the younger, college-educated detective Steve Kelley. The show was a big success mainly because both actors had great on-screen chemistry. Both received Emmy nominations for their performances.
In addition, the series was widely acclaimed for being well-written and well-acted. The Streets of San Francisco television show ran for a total of five seasons, between September 16, 1972 and June 9, 1977 on the ABC television network, for a total of 120 episodes. All are available for purchase at the link below.
The series was sponsored by the Ford Motor Company. Many of the vehicles used on the show were actually made by Ford. In early episodes, Detectives Keller and Stone drive a brown 1971 Ford Galaxie, four-door sedan. In fact, all of the police car and the entire SFPD cruiser fleet consists of Ford Galaxies.
Why We Like This Show
If you like cops shows, you’ll love this one. The on-screen chemistry between the two actors is fantastic. The young Michael Douglas has the charisma, charm and swagger of a hot-shot, college-educated detective. His over-eagerness to catch the bad guys is well balanced by Karl Malden’s character, who adds the wisdom of an experienced street detective who has been around the block more than a few times. The mentor/student relationship plays out in some of the most well-written scripts and plot twists in the genre. The two plainclothes detectives solve a variety of crimes in the city, usually involving murder. Plus, the scenes are filmed on the beautiful, hillside streets of San Fran, a great place for plots to unfold. This series is definitely one of our all-time favorites.
Streets of San Francisco Television Series on DVD
All of the episodes are available on DVD and can be purchased at Amazon.com. Following is a brief recap of what’s available:
- Season One, Volume 1 includes the first 14 episodes from the 1972-1973 season on 4 discs. The first season was nominated for an Emmy Award for Best Drama, Malden was nominated for Best Actor and Douglas was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Guest stars in this season include actors such as Robert Wagner, Tom Bosley, Dick Van Patten and many more.
- Season One, Volume 2 (1972) – Includes the final 13 episodes from the season on 4 separate compact discs.
- The Streets of San Francisco: Season Two, Volume 1 on DVD (1974) – The three disc set includes all 11 episodes.
- Season Two,Volume 2 on DVD
- Season 3 Volume One and Two – Six different CD’s.
- Season 4 Volume One and Two – Total of six discs.
- Season 5 – Ran in 1976 and 1977, divided into two volumes, volume 1 and volume 2, with a total of 24 episodes. The set was released on October 30, 2012 and includes a a total of six discs.
The Streets of San Francisco on DVD at Amazon.com. Buy one or collect them all.
If you have any questions about the Streets of San Francisco TV Series, please post a comment below.
Like cop shows? Check out other Police Crime Dramas on DVD.