Simon & Simon is an American private detective television series that aired on the CBS network starring Gerald McRaney and Jameson Parker. The Simon & Simon television show was picked up by CBS, the characters’ home was changed from Florida to San Diego, California, where the Simon and Simon TV show’s story line remained for the course of its eight-year run. During its original run, it aired on Thursday each week in the 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM time slot.
The Simon and Simon TV show was almost canceled in 1982 due to low ratings. CBS decided to give the series another chance and moved the show to Thursday nights at 9 PM following Magnum, P.I., starring Tom Selleck. After that scheduling change, Simon & Simon became a hit, and continued to have solid ratings for the next several seasons. Simon & Simon did a crossover episode with Magnum, P.I., on the Magnum double episode “Ki’s Don’t Lie” and in the Simon & Simon episode “Emeralds Are Not a Girl’s Best Friend” (both shows aired in 1982).
The main cast members of the show:
- A.J. Simon (Jameson Parker) – The book smart college graduate, sophisticated, ambitious.
- Rick Simon (Gerald McRaney) – Street smart, ex-military
- Mary Carver played their mother, Ceceilia Simon
- Eddie Barth played Myron Fowler, a competitor
The show was a great example of prime-time 80’s television at its best. Set in San Diego, California, the pair of private investigator brothers investigate anything and anyone from killers, kidnappers, hackers, thieves and more.
Toward the end of the series, the Simon & Simon television show moved from Thursday to Saturday nights. After this change, the show’s ratings dropped dramatically. In the fall of 1988, CBS only committed to 13 episodes. CBS canceled the series without showing the last two episodes, including the series finale. The series finale episode did not air until the show entered syndication.
Simon & Simon TV Show Season Episodes on DVD
- Simon & Simon – Season One on DVD – A four disc set that includes all episodes from the first season and a half-hour documentary. Released on October 10, 2006.
- Season Two on DVD – Includes at total of episodes from the second season.
- Season Three on DVD – Includes a total of 23 episodes from the third season.
- Season 4 – Includes all 23 original one-hour episodes. Released on April 6, 2010.
- Season 5 – Includes 24 episodes. Released on July 20, 2010.
- Season 6 – Includes 22 episodes. Released on February 21, 2012
- Season 7 – Includes 16 episodes. Released on October 16, 2012
- Season 8 – Includes 13 episodes. Released on January 15, 203
Check out other Police Crime Dramas on DVD.
The show’s original theme song was “Best of Friends” and was performed by the Thrasher Brothers. In the second season, the theme song was changed to an instrumental that was composed by Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers.