Simon & Simon is an American private detective television series that aired on the CBS television network. The popular series stars Gerald McRaney and Jameson Parker. The Simon & Simon TV Show was picked up by CBS. After it was picked up, the characters’ home was changed from Florida to San Diego, California. Then, the show’s storyline remained in San Diego for the course of its eight-year run. During its original run, it aired on Thursday each week in the 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM time slot.
The Simon and Simon TV show was almost canceled in 1982 due to low ratings. CBS decided to give the series another chance and moved the show to Thursday nights at 9 PM following Magnum, P.I., starring Tom Selleck. After that scheduling change, Simon & Simon became a hit and continued to have solid ratings for the next several seasons. The main characters did a crossover episode with Magnum, P.I., on the Magnum double episode “Ki’s Don’t Lie”. Also, Tom Selleck crossed over in the Simon & Simon episode “Emeralds Are Not a Girl’s Best Friend” (both shows aired in 1982).
List of Simon & Simon Cast Members
The main cast members of the show:
- A.J. Simon (Jameson Parker) – A.J. was the book-smart college graduate, sophisticated and ambitious.
- Rick Simon (Gerald McRaney) – Rick was the street smart, ex-military cowboy-style character.
- Mary Carver played their mother, Cecilia Simon
- Eddie Barth played Myron Fowler, a competitor
The show was a great example of prime-time 80’s television at its best. Set in San Diego, California, the pair of private investigator brothers investigate anything and anyone from killers, kidnappers, hackers, thieves, and more.
Toward the end of the series, the Simon & Simon television show moved from Thursday to Saturday nights. After this change, the show’s ratings dropped dramatically. In the fall of 1988, CBS only committed to 13 episodes. CBS canceled the series without showing the last two episodes, including the series finale. The series finale episode did not air until the show entered syndication.
Simon & Simon TV Series Season Episodes on DVD
Currently, the series is only available on DVD. It is not yet available for streaming on Amazon Prime.
Simon & Simon – Season One – A four-disc set that includes all episodes from the first season. Released on October 10, 2006. Gerald McRaney and Jameson Parker star as siblings and private investigators whose style and approach could not be more different. This DVD set also includes a half-hour documentary about 1980’s television.
- E1 – Details at Eleven – The detective agency gets its first case, to find a missing girl.
- E2 – Lov, Christy – Rick and A.J. work to recover a stolen car.
- E3 – Trapdoors – A bank manager hires the duo to investigate a hacker.
- E4 – A Recipe for Disaster – Another kidnapping case, but this one leads out of the country.
- E5 – The Least Dangerous Game – A zoo employee gets killed and the Simon’s go undercover to catch the killer.
- E6 – The Dead Letter File – The detective agency receives an old letter.
- E7 – The Hottest Ticket in Town – The team becomes involved with a counterfiet ticket scheme.
- E8 – Ashes to Ashes, and None Too Soon – A man commits suicide right before the Simons serve him with divorce papers. But, was it a suicide?
- Season Two – The DVD includes a total of ten episodes from the second season. Follow the brothers as they run their investigation agency in San Diego, California. They do a little bit of everything, from recovering stolen items to solving a murder.
- Season Three on DVD- Includes a total of 23 episodes from the third season.
- Season 4 – All 23 original one-hour episodes. Released on April 6, 2010.
- Season 5 – 24 episodes. Released on July 20, 2010.
- Season 6 – 22 episodes. February 21, 2012
- Season 7 – 16 episodes. October 16, 2012
- Season 8 – 13 episodes. January 15, 2013
The show’s original theme song was “Best of Friends”, performed by the Thrasher Brothers. In the second season, the theme song changed to an instrumental composed by Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about the Simon & Simon TV show, please leave a comment below. Also, check out the Wikipedia page to learn more. Plus, if you love TV crime and detective shows, check out other Police Crime Dramas on DVD.