New York Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private Investigator licensing in the state of New York is handled by the New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services. For additional information, see also, the New York State Law governing private investigators. Visit the website to get the most up to date information, get advice on licensing requirements, download applications and forms, learn about the rules and laws that govern private investigators, and more.
To obtain a private investigator license in New York:
- Applicant must be at least twenty five (25) years of age
- Applicant must be a principal in the business entity to be licensed
- Must be an individual possessing the expertise to oversee the day-to-day conduct of investigations
- Applicant must have passed the private investigator examination within the two years immediately prior to your application date
- Applicant must have either three (3) years experience or three years equivalent position and experience
- All applicants must be fingerprinted
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
The Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook: How to Get a Private Investigator License in any State
Think you might be interested in pursuing a career as a private investigator? Browse through the pages of this eBook to learn about the services provided by private investigators, the typical work environment, career outlook and salary range. Plus learn the basic licensing requirements for each states and where to find more information. Includes sections on training and education, PI associations and more. Buy the eBook at Amazon today for just $2.99.
New York Private Investigator Associations
- Associated Licensed Detectives of New York State (ALDONYS) – ALDONYS was founded in 1950 as a not-for-profit industry membership association, ALDONYS is the largest New York State organization solely representing the interests of licensed private investigators and watch, guard and patrol agencies.
Hire a Private Detective in New York
- Hire a Private Investigator in New York – To hire a private investigator in New York, please visit our worldwide directory of investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find an agency to sponsor your training and certification efforts, and help you comply with state licensing requirements.
- Training Resources – Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a private investigator degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the investigative knowledge necessary to get licensed.