An Overview of Google Voice Search
Another handy app that busy private detectives will benefit from is the Google Voice Search App. As the name suggests, this app allows you to search using your voice rather than typing words and numbers into a computer or mobile device. Since private investigators spend much time “in the field,” they don’t always have immediate access to a personal computer.
In addition, surveillance detectives need their hands to be free to operate equipment such as cameras and video equipment. The ability to conduct internet searches and queries in a “hands-free” fashion is very convenient for detectives. Here’s an overview of how to use it:
How to Download the Google Voice Search App
The first step is downloading the app to your mobile device or tablet. Depending on your device, you must go to Google Play for Android or iTunes for IOS to download the app. It is easy, and after the download, open the settings to set your language preferences. Click on the Search & Now icon, then Voice, followed by languages. Select the languages you can muster and use regularly and return to your homepage.
Download and install for Android devices.
How to use the Google Voice Search App
Most people are familiar with the normal process of search engine queries. A keyboard enters keywords into a search field, a search button or image is clicked, and a results page is displayed. This is a universally understood method for using search engines, searching specific websites or software applications, and searching content for various devices such as computers, tablets, and mobile devices. With the Google Voice Search feature, you only need your voice to conduct a search or ask a question.
To use the Google Voice Search app, simply touch the icon to launch the Google Search application on your device. Once the search application opens, simply say, “Ok, Google,” to activate the voice search feature. Alternatively, simply touch the microphone icon on the right side of the search box. At this point, the app has begun listening and is ready for your query.
Search Results, Responses to Questions
The results of the search can also be different. In some cases, the application will provide a page of search engine results, similar to what you get when using a keyboard and computer. In cases when Google knows the exact answer, it will respond with audio.
The app will provide results in the same language used to ask questions. If you ask a question in English, it will respond in English. If you ask in Italian, it will respond in Italian. This occurs despite your physical location. Note: Only one language can be used per query. Don’t mix different languages within the same question.
Sample Voice Search Commands
The following are some examples of how Google Voice can be used. Just activate the app by saying “Ok Google”, then follow with the command or question:
- Set reminders, create calendars, and set alarms. Just activate the app, tell it to set a reminder, and it will walk you through the steps. At the time of the event, an alarm will sound. This can be a helpful feature if you have a meeting with a client.
- Get travel directions. This feature allows you to ask for directions to a specific location, ask where is the closest service station or business, ask for major attractions in a city, ask for flight updates, or where a hotel is located. This could be used in surveillance situations.
- Check the weather. Ask, “How cold will it be tomorrow?” This feature can be useful when planning travel or surveillance missions.
- Define the meaning of a word. This can be incredibly helpful when brushing up on the meaning of various legal terms.
- Solve math problems. For example, “Ask what is x times y?” and it will give you the answer. This could be useful when calculating distance, such as in a traffic accident investigation.
- Find the time, even in other cities. For example, “What time is it in Los Angeles, California?”
In addition to asking questions, the application can control certain aspects of your device. For example, you can ask it to turn on or off the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, turn the flashlight feature on or off, etc.
In non-work situations, you can use the feature to:
- Ask trivia questions – “How many Presidents have there been in the United States?”
- Activate entertainment features on your phone. Ask “Ok Google” to take a picture, show you pictures on your device, ask about current movies at the theater or where a specific movie is showing, learn what is currently on the news, identify a song, or even ask it to play a song and much more.
Also, it allows you to search for information contained within an app on your device – “search for Mexican food on Pinterest”
To adjust the voice search settings on the Google app, touch the menu icon in the corner of the screen. Go to settings, Voice, and “Ok Google” detection. This is where you decide when you want your device to listen whenever you say the words, “Ok Google”.
Pros and Cons
There are plenty of pros to using Google Voice, especially considering it is free. The app is straightforward to use. It has strong speech recognition capabilities and supports over fifty languages, including automatic detection of the spoken language. It is continuously updated to improve usability and features.
This application is worth paying for due to the amount of use and convenience offered.
There are only a few cons. Mainly, the application sometimes gets the query wrong depending on the clarity of the speech command.
We consider this an essential app for every private detective who travels internationally. The efficiency and time-saving benefits are considerable. The time it saves instead of asking for directions when looking for places, businesses, or streets, especially in an unknown city, is immeasurable. It is more than a silly gimmick, as many thought when it first became available. Google continues improving the spoken word by making search results accurate and voice recognition more advanced.
It is one of the most important productivity tools private investigators use in finding the needed information in record time. It is an appealing app that solves one of the biggest annoyances: constant typing when looking for something. More than just looking for something, it informs you of valuable information about bookings, destination details, and even finding an available hotel at the rates you want.
Questions and Comments
Please post a message below if you have any questions, comments, or feedback about the Google Voice Search App. Learn about other Private Investigator Apps and software for Private Eyes.