The Amazon Echo and Alexa
In this article, I’ll provide an overview of the Amazon Echo family of devices. And, I’ll provide a list of Alexa commands you can use to control the device
How it Works
To use the Alexa Voice Service, just plug in the device, connect it to your wifi and start issuing voice commands. Regardless of the device you have (Standard, Plus, Dot, etc.), the voice service turns on automatically when you say the word Alexa. Try it, and you’ll notice the top ring on the device will light up and begin to circulate. This means it heard you and is ready to receive your command, question, instructions, etc.
List of Alexa Voice Commands
As the technology continues to evolve, the number of potentials uses continues to grow as well. The remainder of this article is focused on the voice commands you can try with your own device.
You can use the device to read audio books from Audible.com. I love this feature, as I can put on an audio book while I’m working at the computer. Following are some helpful commands:
- “Alexa, read the book ____ from Audible.”
- “Alexa, read faster” or “Alexa, read slower” – This allows you to control the speed of the playback after starting your book.
- “Alexa, do you know the value of pi?”
- “Alexa, how many ounces are in a gallon?”
- “Alexa, how many days until _____?”
Following are commands you can use to control features of the device itself (e.g. turn up the sound, off, etc.)
- “Alexa, turn it up.”
- “Alexa, learn my voice.” – Get your personalized experience for music, making calls, setting location-based reminders, and more, when Alexa recognizes your voice.
- “Alexa, call my phone.”
Following is a list of games you can play.
- “Alexa, play the Sims.”
- “Alexa, open Word Play.”
- “Alexa, open Choose Your Own Adventure.” – Relive classic Choose Your Own Adventure stories with this new Alexa skill from Audible. You choose the adventure, you decide what happens next.
- “Alexa, give me a riddle.”
- “Alexa, tell me a movie joke.”
- “Alexa, open Ultimate History Quiz”
- “Alexa, open Ultimate Oscars Movie Trivia.”
- “Alexa, what’s the Amazon Beta Testing Program?”
- “Alexa, what is Brief Mode?”
- “Alexa, tell me a black history fact.”
- “Alexa, how many days are in February?”
- “Alexa, give me a Groundhog Day fun fact.”
- “Alexa, play football on SiriusXM.”
- “Alexa, how old is Tom Hanks?
- “Alexa, start my Audible trial.”
- “Alexa, play me a love podcast.”
- “Alexa, what movies are playing this weekend?”
- “Alexa, open Angel Investor.”
- “Alexa, what are some flower shops nearby?”
- “Alexa, announce Happy Valentine’s Day!”
- “Alexa, tell me a love story.”
- “Alexa, who is Cupid?”
- “Alexa, when is President’s Day?”
- “Alexa, tell me a presidential fact.”
- “Alexa, open Lemonade Stand.”
- “Alexa, surprise me.”
- “Alexa, call mom’s cell.”
- “Alexa, open Silver Linings.”
- “Alexa, what’s trending?”
- “Alexa, when is the first day of spring?”
- “Alexa, who is the UFC welterweight champion?”
- “Alexa, who is your favorite actor?”
- “Alexa, open Three Questions.”
- “Alexa, what time is sunset?”
- “Alexa, what’s on your mind?”
- “Alexa, what is Echo Look?” – Check your outfit of the day. Take full-length photos and 6-second videos with Echo Look, a hands-free camera and style assistant with Alexa.
- “Alexa, what should I wear?”
- “Alexa, what’s trending in fashion?”
- Alexa, rename the living room plug.”
- “Alexa, no soup for you.”
- “Alexa, what’s the question of the day?”
- “Alexa, drop in on the kitchen.”
- “Alexa, what is your favorite hobby?”
- “Alexa, sing Woohoo Technology.”
- “Alexa, how’s the Dow Jones doing?”
- “Alexa, when is Ash Wednesday?”
- “Alexa, can you do an impression?
- “Alexa, show me the front door camera.” – Stay connected to home activity with compatible smart home security. Learn more about the different ways you can make your home smarter.
- “Alexa, turn on the fan.”
- “Alexa, dim the lights.”
- “Alexa, open Chevrolet.” – Ask Alexa to remotely start and pre-condition your Chevrolet vehicle. For the full list of Connected Car Skills, learn more here.
Movies, Actors and Actresses
You can ask questions about your favorite movies, actors and actresses. Following are a few examples:
- “Alexa, what is the IMDB rating for [movie name]
Music and Sounds
- “Alexa, what are the Grammy nominations this year?”
- “Alexa, play the GRAMMY Nominees playlist on Apple Music.”
- “Alexa, can you beatbox?”
- “Alexa, sing a love song.”
- “Alexa, play more music like this on Amazon Music.”
- “Alexa, play Alicia Keys on Amazon Music.”
- “Alexa, open Song Quiz.”
- “Alexa, what song is this?”
- “Alexa, how do I play music in all my rooms?”
- “Alexa, sing-along with Queen.” – Live out your rock-and-roll dreams and sing-along with the rock band, Queen.
- “Alexa, play new music on Amazon Music.”
- “Alexa, play the playlist Cardio Dance Workout on Amazon Music.”
- “Alexa, open Nature Sounds.”
- “Alexa, what’s the latest?” – Get the latest news headline with Alexa as the newscaster. Learn more.
- “Alexa, add an umbrella to my cart.”
- “Alexa, open Sports Jeopardy!”
- “Alexa, open Rookies Guide to the NFL.” – Your official way to learn about the NFL
- “Alexa, what are the odds on the Patriots game?”
- “Alexa, start ESPN.”
- “Alexa, announce that the game is starting.”
- “Alexa, who’s going to win the Big Game?
- “Alexa, when does March Madness start?”
- “Alexa, tell me about the upcoming NASCAR race.”
- “Alexa, how many threes has Steph Curry made?”
Timers & Reminders
- “Alexa, add three minutes to my nachos timer.” – Add and remove time on your timers or restart as you need it.
- “Alexa, remind me to take out the trash every Thursday when I get home.”
- “Alexa, help me create a chore chart.”
- “Alexa, help me track my tasks.”
- “Alexa, who’s on dish duty tonight?” – With the Chore Chart, Task Tracker, and Whose Turn Skill Blueprints, you can create personalized Alexa Skills to help organize and simplify your life at home.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions or comments about this list of Alexa commands for you Amazon Echo family of devices, post a message below. If you like lists, check out our List category.