This section provides lists and reviews of various private investigator books. The books are primarily for private investigators but are also recommended for anyone in or with the investigation industry.
This includes law enforcement detectives, police officers, security professionals, forensic specialists, and those who work in related professions.
Both novice and experienced detectives can use textbooks to learn new investigative techniques and disciplines. Books can be an alternative to expensive, lengthy private eye training courses or university degree programs.
Most of the Private Investigator Books listed in this bookstore are available through multiple online retailers. However, Amazon.com usually has the lowest price and the most straightforward ordering process. You’ll find most books for under $30, which often includes free shipping.
Even fictional novels can offer insight, ideas, and inspiration that can be applied to real-world situations. We also have a collection of detective novels in the mystery and crime fiction genre from such writers as John Grisham, James Patterson, and Tom Clancy.
Featured Private Investigator Books
Delve into the world of private investigation by learning about investigators’ diverse services. Gain insights into the work environment, career prospects, and potential salary ranges. Uncover the essential licensing requirements for each state, and discover where to access further information. Navigate the training and education landscape, equipping yourself with the necessary knowledge and skills. For those ready to establish their own investigative business, this handbook offers practical advice and ideas to set you on the right path. Explore strategies for building your enterprise, and uncover valuable suggestions for networking and growth within the industry. This handbook proves beneficial even if you’re already an experienced private investigator. Expand your services to different states, enhance your credentials, and foster a referral network with the insights provided. Agencies can also utilize this resource to guide new employees through the licensing and application process. Whether taking your first steps into private investigation or looking to bolster your existing career, “The Private Investigator’s Licensing Handbook” is your go-to source for valuable information, tips, and strategies to propel you forward in this dynamic profession.
Completely revised with all-new chapters on skip tracing and due diligence searches. Skills and techniques for average citizens, as well as professionals Includes the most valuable and little-known databases
eBook: Police Officer Communications
The eBook: Police Officer Communications, includes an overview of the history and usage of Police 10 Codes. In addition, it includes a list of Police Ten Codes, Scanner Codes, Military, Phonetic Alphabets, and much more. Use it as a handy reference to understand police communications.
Buy the eBook (in PDF format) now for just 99 cents.
eBook: Practical Advice for Dealing with a Stalker
Practical Advice for Dealing With a Stalker is a starter guide that delves into the complex and often distressing issue of stalking. This short eBook explores the subject and discusses tactics for prevention and strategies to help victims regain control of their lives.
The information is available in a helpful downloadable PDF eBook. Learn important steps like involving friends and family, filing a police report, gathering evidence, and personal protection strategies.
Use it as a reference guide as you work with family, friends, law enforcement, and legal professionals to always keep yourself safe.
Practical Advice for Dealing With a Stalker is available for immediate download for 99 cents.
Private Investigator Book Categories
Following is a summary of the private investigator books in this section. Select a category to see a list of recommended books related to the topic.
- Accident Reconstruction – Learn how to investigate an automobile accident, gather evidence from the scene, and analyze the data to understand the cause of the accident.
- Adoption Searches – Includes helpful information on searching for adoptive parents, adoptees, and siblings. Learn about resources for reuniting families and more.
- Arson and Fire Investigations – Learn how to determine the cause of a fire, analyze crime scene evidence, and track down arsonists.
- Background Check Books – Learn how the pros conduct background checks, employment checks, and criminal record searches.
- Bodyguard Books – Learn about the art and science of bodyguarding and personal protection.
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Books – Get the facts on the history of the CIA and read real-life stories from real spies.
- Chase Darkness With Me – An insightful actual crime book by a journalist who decided to start solving crimes.
- Collection Agency – Information on collection agencies. This information can be helpful to skip tracers who need to track down debtors, collect judgments, and retrieve financial assets.
- Computer Forensics – Learn how to investigate computer crime and fraud using the latest forensic techniques, ethical hacking tips, and analysis software.
- Crime Scene Investigation – Learn how to gather and preserve evidence, analyze and process crime scene data, generate valid theories, and solve crimes using the latest CSI techniques.
- Criminal Investigation Techniques – Determining the cause of various crimes and determining who is responsible. It is an excellent collection for private eyes and police officers.
- Evidence Collection and Preservation – The art and the science of collecting evidence from crime scenes and preserving it so it can be presented in court.
- Executive Protection – Learn to offer personal protection services to your clients.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) – A collection of books describing the FBI’s history, structure, and organization. Also, learn how to pursue a career in the bureau.
- Financial Investigation Books – Reference guides that explain how to track down hidden assets, understand financial instruments, and identify fraudulent activity.
- Fingerprinting – Read about how to lift prints from a crime scene using the latest tools, technology, and techniques. Suitable for private eyes and CSI experts.
- For Dummies Book Series – Various books and reference manuals that break down complex processes and topics into easily understood text.
- Forensic Investigation Books – Mainly involves CSI techniques, evidence collection, fingerprints, data analysis, and more. Includes a section on forensic accounting. Also, it has a list of reference books to help you learn if someone is embezzling or committing financial fraud.
- Genealogy Research and Reference – How to conduct genealogical research and build family trees for yourself or your client.
- Government Conspiracies – Investigations into some of the most well-known crimes in U.S. history.
- How to Disappear – Completely disappear and cover your tracks to prevent others from finding you.
- Interviewing Witnesses and Experts – How to ask the correct answers, take statements, and gather the information you need to support your case.
- James Patterson Detective Novels – Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, and the Women’s Murder Club series.
- Legal Reference Books – Includes books and reference manuals to help private investigators understand the law.
- Lock Picking – Understand the science behind picking a lock, including the tools and techniques used by the pros.
- Loss Prevention – How to help businesses prevent theft, stealing, and embezzlement
- Maps and Geography – How to read maps and understand geography.
- Missing Persons – How to conduct an adequate search for a missing individual.
- Online Searching Tools – An overview of tools, websites, and software for finding people and information online.
- Personal Security and Personal Protection
- Police Officer Books – A collection of books that explain life as a police officer. Learn how to get law enforcement training and education, and how to pursue a career as a cop.
- Process Servers and Process Service – Learn how professional process servers serve subpoenas and summons to command people to appear in court.
- Public Records – Find public records, databases, and information related to your case.
- Security Guard – Manuals and guides for the security profession.
- Sex Offender Search – Learn how to find predators in your neighborhood.
- Surveillance Books – Learn the latest techniques in covert surveillance and counter-surveillance. Includes information on electronic surveillance equipment and spy gear used by private investigators.
- Tom Clancy – Tom Clancy is an American novelist well-known for writing spy, espionage, and military science novels. This article provides a list of the best Tom Clancy books.
- True Crime Podcasts – Check out our selection of the most popular true-crime podcasts. Listen to stories about mysterious murders, serial killers, the criminal justice system, abductions, and more.
Spy and Espionage Books
Spying is not just something that happens in the movies. Spying, also known as espionage, is common in the corporate world. And it is an ongoing threat within government organizations, the military, and the internet. Spies use many of the same techniques private detectives use, and both can learn important techniques from one another.
The following books provide helpful information on spies, espionage, and spying. Read about real-world spies and learn new ideas, techniques, and information. Then, add those ideas to your investigative toolbox.
- The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA. This book will help you learn about the art of disguise and its role in conducting effective espionage missions. Read about the real-life techniques used by agents in the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Operatives, Spies, and Saboteurs: The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of World War II’s OSS – Read true stories about active secret operatives during the Second World War. Spooks from both sides of the war used secrets, lies, deception, special equipment, and more to steal other nations’ secrets.
- The Spy’s Guide: Office Espionage – This helpful guide provides information on applying spy techniques to the corporate world. It includes in-depth information on tapping phones, sending anonymous email messages, utilizing physical disguises, and more. This book is helpful for detectives and loss protection specialists who work in a corporate environment.
- SPYING: The Secret History of Spying. This guide provides information on the history of spying and the intriguing world of espionage. It includes personal interviews with legendary spies, historical letters, photographs, and descriptions of spy equipment and gadgets used in the field. It is an exciting read for anyone who loves the history of the craft.
- Spying with Maps: Surveillance Technologies and the Future of Privacy – This book explains how maps can offer insight into the movements and activities of people, government, military, and terrorist organizations. It discusses the increased use of geographic data, satellite imagery, and Global Positioning System (GPS) location tracking in law enforcement and military intelligence fields.