Phone Number Search: How to Perform Lookups and Reverse Matching
Private detectives search for phone numbers for a variety of reasons. In some cases, detectives may look for current and historical phone numbers in missing person investigation cases. In other situations, P.I.’s may need to look up business contact information to complete a background check or employment verification for one of their clients. Private detectives can use pay services for more accurate and trustworthy results. However, a simple internet search on the right website will often to the trick, at no cost.
Detectives use websites to search for phone numbers in white pages and yellow pages, or to conduct reverse searches to match a phone number to a physical address. In addition, detectives use these same resources to lookup area codes and zip codes.
For more resources, see our White Pages resource page.
- BigBook – Complete Yellow Pages (and business white pages) for the US, with the added feature of a map interface that can plot an address to street level, or select phone numbers in a mapped area. Free home page offered to United States businesses.
- Lookup USA – National directory of people and businesses, and a classified directory. The unique feature here is credit ratings for most of the 10 million business telephone number listings. Has street maps also.
- NumberInvestigator.com – NumberInvestigator.com was created with the goal of creating a community-driven website listing annoying callers, and telemarketers. We know that we are not the only website offering this free service, however we are also aware that other websites are not always easy to find. Please do not abuse this free system with links or spam.
- Pay Phone Directory – Offering thousands of pay telephone numbers in the United States, Canada, and other countries
- Phone Validator – Learn if a phone number is a landline or a cell phone. The site also allows users to automatically run the phone number through directory assistance and Google to develop new leads.
- Spokeo People Search – Spokeo is a people earch engine that specializes in aggregating and organizing vast quantities of people-related information from a large variety of public sources. The public data is amassed with lightning speed, and presented almost instantly in an integrated, coherent, and easy-to-follow format. It is a great resource for private investigators.
- Switchboard USA White Pages – Switchboard is a complete national directory for looking up both private numbers and business numbers.
- WhitePages.com – A global directory with index of e-mail addresses and phone numbers. See other White Pages Search Tools.
- WhoWhere – This website provides access to both business and residential numbers for the USA. Search by name and location.
- YellowBook.com – Private detectives can use this website to search for businesses through the yellow pages business phone book.
Toll-Free Telephone Directories
- The Internet 800 Directory – This site provides a large collection of toll-free numbers, includes non-AT & T customers.
Regional Telephone Directories
- U S West Dex – Dex is one of the leading Yellow Pages publishers. A leader in local search, Dex connects business and consumers through its portfolio of print solutions and online at DexKnows.com™.
The Department of Motor Vehicles is a state-level government agency that administers vehicle registration and driver licensing. The acronym DMV is
Judgments are awarded by the court system as a result of a lawsuit or legal case. However, the system then
Adoption is the legal act of permanently placing a child with a parent or parents other than the birth parents.