What is a Hidden Camera?
A hidden camera is a still or video camera used to capture video footage of people without their knowledge or consent. The camera is “hidden” because it is not visible to the filmed subject or disguised as another object.
Hidden cameras have become famous for conducting household surveillance. Hidden cameras can be built into everyday household objects such as smoke detectors, clock radios, motion detectors, ball caps, plants, and cell phones. Hidden cameras may also be used commercially or industrially as security cameras to catch thieves and even dishonest employees.
If you want to purchase a device, view the nanny cams available at the Home Security Superstore.
Wired or Wireless?
A hidden camera can be wired or wireless. A wired hidden camera will be connected to an electrical outlet and a television, Video Cassette Recorder (VCR), or Digital Video Recorder (DVR). A hidden wireless camera can transmit a video signal to a receiver within a small radius (up to a few hundred feet).
Some hidden camera footage has led to lawsuits by the people trapped in set-ups that they found unpleasant. Hulk Hogan was recently involved in a lawsuit with Gawker, which released hidden video footage of the star having sex.
Types of Video Surveillance Equipment
Nanny cameras come in various types with a wide range of features. Most cams are wireless video devices but are also available in hardwired format. The hidden equipment device is usually hidden in everyday household items such as teddy bears or stuffed animals, clock radios, computer speakers or stereo speakers, carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms, and air purifiers.
They are also disguised as outdoor items, such as rocks and plants. The idea is to conceal the presence of the recording device by making it look just like a regular household item.
What are Nanny Cams?
Nanny cams, or nanny cameras, are typically hidden cameras that allow parents to secretly monitor and videotape the activity of a person or persons. They are most often used to observe the behavior of a nanny, caregiver, or a babysitter. These types of hidden video surveillance cameras are becoming more popular as they are used to provide proof of abusive caregivers such as nannies and babysitters.
- Monitor the inside of your home day and night with our 1080P HD indoor plug-in smart security camera with motion detection and two-way audio.
- See, hear, and speak to people and pets in your home from your smartphone with Blink Mini’s live view and two-way audio.
- Get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected or customize motion detection zones so you can see what matters most.
- Use Mini as an indoor plug-in chime for Blink Video Doorbell. Hear a real-time alert from Mini when someone presses your Video Doorbell.
- Choose to save and share clips with a free 30-day trial of the Blink Subscription Plan or locally with the Sync Module 2 (sold separately).
Private investigators may use such equipment during civil investigations when a caregiver’s behavior has been called into question. Detectives should first check their state and local laws that govern using hidden video.
In cases where parents are suspicious and need proof, having a nanny cam allows parents to have peace of mind when they leave their child alone with a caregiver or a babysitter.
Other Possible Uses
These hidden video surveillance cameras can be used for reasons other than child care. Parents can use remote recording devices to monitor the activity of their teenage children (they are having a party while they’re away on vacation) to watch their house. At the same time, it is being cleaned for security reasons. Some real estate investors use hidden surveillance cameras to monitor their rental properties and vacation homes.
Legal Considerations for Hidden Cameras
Currently, in all 50 states, using a remote video device is legal. However, it is illegal to record speech without a person’s consent in the following states: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington.
Please note that laws that pertain to device usage change frequently, so please check your local and state laws to determine the legality of using a hidden video device and/or recording speech to record the activities of others.
Where to Buy Equipment
The Home Security Superstore has an extensive selection of covert hidden cameras, nanny cams, and video surveillance equipment for private investigators. In addition, they have devices for law enforcement and everyday people to help monitor the activity of another person.
Record Secret Video With a WiFi Tissue Box Hidden Camera
This Hidden Cam Fits Any Room Decor and Blends Right In While It Records Covert Video. The WiFi Tissue Box Hidden Camera is a secret video recording option that looks like a standard tissue box. Although it is sold separately, it allows you to capture 64 hours of full-color, high-resolution video on a 32-gigabyte SD memory card.
The Tissue Box Hidden Cam can even record video footage in low-light conditions, which is great for darker rooms. The recording device has a 10-hour rechargeable battery. The 10-hour battery lasts quite a long time, as the power is only used when it is motion-activated to begin recording.
Why is this a Good WiFi Hidden Cam
- It looks exactly like any other typical tissue box on your table, so it will likely go unnoticed, even by the pros.
- The devices record video files on a single battery charge for up to ten hours.
- WiFi technology enables you to view all captured video footage remotely.
- The device captures crystal-clear video in as low as .001 Lux
How to View Captured Footage
Viewing your recordings can be done in multiple ways. The hidden camera can be used as a standard DVR, recording your files to an SD card for later review on your computer.
Simply insert the SD card into the camera, then connect the device to your laptop or computer. Then, you’ll be able to view the recorded video files. You are also given the option of watching the feed remotely from the device’s built-in WiFi receiver.
The camera can be used to:
- Protect your home or office from dishonest employees or thieves. Place the device in a common area to capture employee activity and get the proof you need to identify theft or fraudulent activity
- Monitor your bedroom for burglars dishonest children visitors, or maybe even a cheating spouse
- Watch the kids when no one is home to ensure they are safe. The device will give you peace of mind when you can’t be in the same room as your children.
- Monitor the babysitter or nanny to see if they follow the rules and keep your child safe.
Check out more Spy Gear for Private Investigators.