Genealogy Books: Learn How to Research Family Roots and History
Genealogy is the study and tracing of family pedigrees and family history. Private investigators sometimes become involved in conducting genealogy research due to their access to a variety of information sources and their keen ability to dig up information.
Investigators use a variety of resources to trace a family’s history, including: online database research, search engines, genealogical websites, court record searches, newspapers, libraries and more. In some cases, P.I.’s can help coordinate DNA testing and provide assistance with interpreting the results.
Understanding how to conduct the research can be learned via training courses, or self-taught by the use of books related to the subject. Amazon.com has a wide variety of books on the subject and can serve as a great resources for both novice and experienced detectives.
Following is a small sample of several genealogy books that provide helpful tips on researching ancestors and building a family tree.
- Genealogy Online for Dummies – This is an introductory guide to conducting genealogical research online. It explains how to prepare, how to get organized, how to pick the right names, and how to begin researching your family background.
- Trace Your Roots with DNA: Use Your DNA to Complete Your Family Tree – This helpful book explains how genetic testing can help you research your ancestry, the types of DNA testing that are available, how to interpret the results and more.
- Genealogy 101: How to Trace Your Family’s History and Heritage – This guide explains the basic steps necessary to find your ancestors, how to look for information in libraries, how to leverage historical societies, and an extensive review of internet sources.
- Online Roots: How to Discover Your Family’s History and Heritage With the Power of the Internet – This book covers how to use the power of the internet to find information, how to evaluate the results, and how to use the information to trace your family’s history.
- Your Guide to Cemetery Research – A book that explains how to conduct cemetery and graveyard research. How to capture information from tombstones, burial customs, etc.
- Unpuzzling Your Past: The Best-Selling Basic Guide to Genealogy – How to gather sources, the meaning of names, whom to interview and more.
- The Organized Family Historian: How to File, Manage, and Protect Your Genealogical Research and Heirlooms
- Finding Your Roots Online – How to use the internet to find your roots. Explains how to find information online and how to analyze the results.
For Dummies books are a popular series of instructional reference books that provide easy to understand guides on a wide
Taking photographs is an important part of a private eye’s activity on any surveillance mission. Knowing the basics of photography
Private investigators with law enforcement or military experience often provide security services and personal protection services to their clients. Private Investigators