What is Forensic Accounting?
Forensic accounting is a specialty practice area of accounting that describes investigations that result from actual or anticipated disputes or litigation. The term forensic means that it is suitable for use in a court of law.
Forensic accountants, also referred to as Forensic Auditors or sometimes investigative auditors, often have to provide their expert opinion and present evidence in a court trial. All of the larger accounting firms, as well as many medium-sized and boutique firms, have specialist Forensic accounting departments. Within these groups, there may be further sub-specializations. Some Forensic accountants specialize in reviewing insurance claims and personal injury claims, investigating fraud, or performing royalty audits.
Private detectives who conduct financial investigations and asset searches may leverage skills and techniques from this specialty field. Obtaining the depth of knowledge and skills that are required to be successful generally requires a degree and experience in the field of accounting or some financially related field. Specific training in forensic accounting is often included as a part of the degree program, or can be taken as a part of the elective requirement.
Forensic Accounting Books
Books are a great way to supplement your education and experience and even develop new skills that will be helpful on your financial investigation cases.
Books on this topic will help you learn how to:
- Identify the types of organizations where financial fraud is most likely to occur
- How to detect accounting fraud and what to do when you uncover it in an organization
- How to document fraud cases and prepare evidence for presentation in a court of law
- The skills, techniques and equipment used in the trade to verify that proper procedures are used and when they are being abused
The following books provide helpful information on the subject of Forensic Accounting and fraud auditing.
- The Financial Numbers Game
- Forensic and Investigative Accounting (Third Edition) (Hardcover)
- Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigation Non-Experts (Hardcover) – This helpful book explains how financial fraud occurs and what to to if you uncover it within your company.
- A Guide to Forensic Accounting Investigations Book – Explains various fraud detection techniques and the type of work involved in conducting financial investigations.
Buy these and other books at Amazon.com.