Stream Live Video and View Anytime, From Anywhere
Similar to a home alarm monitoring service, the Dropcam wireless camera is a cloud-based wireless video monitoring service that helps you stay connected to your home, family, baby, pets and even your business. Simply connect the Dropcam security camera securely to your wireless network and start streaming live video. Receive activity alerts on your mobile device via email, tablet or computer when events happen.
Remote Video Monitoring
Dropcam is designed to be used as an indoor camera. It is not recommended as an outdoor camera, as the elements (rain, wind, heat, etc.) may damage the electronics. The camera will capture high quality 720p high definition video. Use the device to watch live video from any device such as your Apple Mac, Windows PC, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Android phone.
The video cam also allows two-way audio, so you can hear what is happening and talk to your kids, pets and even would-be burglars and thieves. Just download the Dropcam App and access a wireless network and watch live video from anywhere. You can even pan and zoom during viewing. In addition, it includes night vision capabilities, so video can be recorded day or night.
This product allows you to receive alerts about camera activity via email or mobile device such as an iPhone. Just connect to the camera and view live camera footage on your mobile device and talk directly to people and see your pets.
Save and View Recorded Captured Footage
When paired with secure online DVR recording, you can watch live and recorded video from anywhere on any device. For an additional fee, Dropcam offers an optional Cloud Video Recording (CVR) feature that allows access to recorded video via the web from the past week or month. Use the Cloud Video Recording option to watch and share video with family and friends.
Setup and Installation
There no need to pay for expensive security camera installation or pay an alarm company for home alarm monitoring. Dropcam can be installed without any professional assistance in under an hour. To install the device, first unpack the box and ensure you have all of the contents. The box will contain the following:
- 1 high definition camera
- 1 Aluminum camera stand
- Hardware for mounting the device on a wall
- 1 10-foot USB cable
- 1 USB power adapter
- Quick start guide with instructions for setting up and using the device
Before you begin setup, make sure you have the following (in addition to the camera itself):
- A personal computer or MAC (needed for setup)
- High Speed internet connection. Either DSL, Cable, FiOS
- Web Browser: Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 3+, Safari 3+, or Google Chrome
- Optional mobile device for viewing video remotely: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and/or Android Device
- Wi-Fi connection: 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz
- Supported wireless security: WEP (40-bit, 128-bit), WPA (TKIP, AES), WPA2 (TKIP, AES)/li
Now that you have everything listed above, proceed with setting up the video camera:
- Choose a location for the security camera installation. Select a location that has an unobstructed view. If possible mount the camera in a location that isn’t very noticeable and preferably out of reach. The device won’t do much good if a thief can take it down, or if they notice the device and avoid its line of sight.
- Plug the device into an electrical outlet. Make sure you have constant, uninterrupted power.
- Mount the device using wall-mounting hardware, if the camera will remain in a permanent location. Otherwise, simply place the device where it will sit (on a shelf, bookcase, etc.)
After completing these steps, you’re ready to stream live video. Now, all you have to do is watch the streaming video from your mobile device, table or personal computer.
Device Technical Specifications
Following are the technical specs of the device:
- Product Dimensions: 4.5″ × 3.15″ × 3.15″
- The produce weighs 5.5oz (156g)
- Input: 50/60Hz 0.5A
- Output: 5V-2A
- Camera: Color with digital zoom
- Field of view is 107° (diagonal)
- Video: H.264 encoding, up to 720HD (1280 × 720) at 30 frames/sec
- Audio: Speaker and microphone
- Night Vision: High-power IR LEDs
- Warranty: One-year parts
- Operating Temperature: 0 – 35°C, designed for indoor use
- Dropcam does not include a motion sensor
- Since a wireless network connection is required, any interruption in your wireless network connection will interrupt the video streaming, or will degrade the quality of the video.
Buy it now at Amazon.com
Questions and More Information
If you have any questions about the Dropcam Wireless Camera, please post a message below. Also, learn about other types of specialized equipment used by investigation experts.