Maritime, Marine and Boating Investigations for Private Detectives
Although most private investigation cases take place on dry land, there are times when a case may involve boats or marine type vessels. A private eye may be hired to investigate events that happened on a boat. Or, a private investigator may need to uncover information about a boat during an asset or financial investigation. In either case, it is helpful to know where to look for information related to maritime investigations.
The following tools may be useful in finding information related to boats, boating vessels, and other marine-related information. Information available on these boating and marine-related websites include:
- Boating and Vessel information
- Boating and Vessel ownership information
- Boating safety guides
- Import and export guidelines and regulations
- Permits and licenses
- Instructions and forms
Research resources for Marine and Maritime Investigations:
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) – The FMC is an independent federal agency responsible for regulating the U.S. international ocean transportation system for the benefit of exporters, importers, and consumers. Use this website to look-up regulations and statutes, get answers about tariffs and service contracts and to learn about investigations conducted.
- United States Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Center – The center facilitates maritime commerce and the availability of financing while protecting economic privileges of United States citizens through the enforcement of regulations, and provides a register of vessels available in time of war or emergency to defend and protect the United States of America. Use this website to access reports, inquire about the status of paperwork, download instructions and forms and to order related products.
- United States Coast Guard Port State Information Exchange System (PSIX) – The Port State Information eXchange (PSIX) system contains vessel specific information derived from the United States Coast Guard’s Marine Information Safety and Law Enforcement System (MISLE). The information contained in PSIX represents a weekly snapshot of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) data on U.S. flag vessels, foreign vessels operating in U.S. waters, and Coast Guard contacts with those vessels.