What are Computer Viruses?
Before discussing Antivirus Software, let’s talk about the viruses themselves. Computer viruses can significantly impact individuals, businesses, corporations, and even government organizations. Viruses are created with malicious computer code designed to harm any electronic device. For example, devices include computers, laptops, mobile devices, internet-connected appliances, and more.
The viruses can be written by hackers or groups of individuals. However, in some cases, they originate from state-sponsored teams that conduct international espionage. The malicious programs sometimes seek to harm by disrupting the operation of a computing device. In other cases, the goal is to blackmail a person or business into paying a ransom to unlock the device. This is known as ransomware.
As a result, it is important to mitigate the potentially detrimental effects. For example, you should invest in the right programs and tools to protect your electronic devices, especially your computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
Antivirus Software – What does it do?
Antivirus software scans and detects viruses, preventing them from infecting your computer and other equipment. Primarily, anti-virus software works by locating and deleting harmful viruses that may have infected a PC. Anti-virus programs help to prevent further virus infections and malicious spyware installations. Protection software should be considered a necessary investment. Certainly, protecting your home or business PC is critical to help prevent identity theft.
Many of the latest antivirus packages are based on an annual subscription model. Subscriptions include regular updates to the software and the virus definitions, sometimes as often as daily. This is an important feature, as harmful infections spread throughout the web daily.
The protection tools prevent malware, phishing, and firewall intrusions from would-be attackers. In addition, many solutions offer the option to back up and restore files to the cloud. This helps to ensure you don’t lose important files if something gets through your layers of defense.
Most Popular Antivirus Software and PC Security Products
The following are examples of packages that protect from the latest viruses. These can help to keep your personal computers and business computers safe, protected, and operating at all times:
- Avast Premium Security – An all-in-one package that offers protection and tune-up features.
- BitDefender – Offers cross-platform solutions in cybersecurity.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- McAfee Internet Security Suite or McAfee Total Protection – Industry-leading packages for protecting your electronic devices
- Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 1.5 Online PC Care Subscription
- Norton Internet Security – Recognized as one of the industry leaders in providing top-notch protection for your computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Trend Micro Internet Security – Trend Micro Internet Security is a comprehensive antivirus software known for its effective protection against malware, ransomware, and online threats, coupled with features such as web browsing security and privacy tools.
Top Five Best-Selling Antivirus Software Packages
Here are some of the factors you should consider when choosing an anti-virus software package:
- Protection: The most important factor to consider is the level of protection that the anti-virus software offers. Choose a package with a good track record of detecting and blocking malware.
- Features: Some anti-virus software packages offer additional features, such as parental controls, a password manager, and a VPN. Consider which features are important to you and choose a package that includes them.
- Price: Anti-virus software can range from free to several hundred dollars annually. Choose a package that fits your budget.
Following is a list of some of the more well-known antivirus software packages:
- AVG Antivirus – Avast designs AVG software to protect operating systems like Windows, Android, and Mac. It is available for free and is generally regarded as a good solution.
- Bitdefender – Bitdefender is a cybersecurity company offering anti-malware solutions for PCs and mobile devices.
- Checkpoint – Checkpoint provides both hardware and software cyber-security solutions. For example, network security, mobile data protection, security management, and more.
- Dr. Web – Dr. Web is anti-virus software developed by a Russian security company.
- Kaspersky – Kaspersky is a Russian cybersecurity company.
- McAffee – A global security software company.
- Windows Defender – Windows Defender is software designed by Microsoft specifically to protect Windows. It is available for free for certain versions of Windows.
- Panda – Panda is known for its cloud-based protection, utilizing collective intelligence to detect and neutralize cybersecurity threats.
- SecureAnywhere – SecureAnywhere is recognized for its lightweight design and advanced cloud-based technology, offering real-time protection against malware and online threats.
- Sophos – Sophos is known for its comprehensive cybersecurity solutions, providing advanced threat prevention, web filtering, and endpoint protection for businesses and individuals.
- Symantec – Symantec is the maker of the popular Norton Anti-virus suite of products.
- TrustPort – TrustPort is an antivirus software that stands out for its multi-engine scanning technology, offering robust protection against various malware, phishing, and other cybersecurity threats.
What do Private Eyes Need to Know?
As a private detective, you’ll spend much time on your PC, laptop, or tablet, especially on the internet. The right protection will allow you to run online searches, research, and use various software tools without fear of infection. Also, they protect your email address and personal identity while you’re online. As a result, it will potentially reduce the spam, phishing, and fraudulent emails you receive.
Questions and Comments