What is Private Investigator Software?
Technology plays a key role in a private investigator’s business. Private investigators use software to conduct investigations and search for records such as criminal histories, divorce records, address histories, driving records, financial records, and more. Private investigators also use software to communicate with with clients, witnesses, business partners and vendors. Private investigators also use software programs for case management. Case management software is used to store the details of an investigation case including; client records, billing information, contact records, case documents, and more.
Most of the detective software available today is designed for use on a personal computer. However, many software companies are building programs that run on tablets and cell phones via small applications or “apps”. Programs designed for tablets and cell phones help private investigators run the software they need while out of the office on surveillance missions. Private detectives should do their best to keep up with the latest trends in technology and learn to integrate technology into their operations wherever possible.
Types of Private Investigation Software Programs
Our detective software section provides an overview of the software used by most private investigators.
Background Investigation Software
Detective software programs that allow private detectives to perform background checks and verify personal information are critical tools. A private investigator can outsource the background investigation to a company that specializes in conducting Background Checks and Investigations, employment verification, and fact checking. Alternatively, a private investigator can invest a small amount in an online service or a private investigator software tool to conduct all or part of the background check themselves. Following are some suggested private investigator software programs for conducting background investigations and managing various aspects of your detective agency:
- Intelius - Perform background checks, find divorce records,
- U.S. Search - Perform background checks, find divorce records, and missing person investigations
- Spokeo People Search - Find address records, divorce records
Private Investigator Software
Following is an overview of the various types of private investigation software that private eyes may use during the course of their daily work:
- Case Management Software - Case management software helps private investigators manage information related to investigation cases. Private eyes use case management software to manage investigation cases, store clients records, manage billing, and more. Case management software is particularly useful for larger private investigation agencies and law offices.
- Face Reading Software - A cool program that allows you to profile a person, business associate, or prospective employee with Face Reading Software.
- Genealogy Software - Private investigators use genealogy software to research family histories and build family trees.
- Legal Software - Software for legal documents, legal forms, etc.
- Mobile Phone Spy Software - A cell phone spy software tool that allows you to monitor cell phone usage.
- Sex Offender Search - Search for Sexual Offenders
Computer Monitoring Software Programs
A variety of computer monitoring software is available to assist private investigators in conducting computer security investigations, computer forensics and to conduct online surveillance. Private Investigators that conduct computer crime investigations or computer security investigations should be familiar with general computer software, business software, CRM software, accounting software, data recovery software and security software. Following are the leading software tools for private investigators to monitor PC activity,monitor network activity, and more:
- Computer Monitoring Software - Computer PC monitoring software programs allow you to monitor locally, and in some cases remotely, the activity of a computer or computers.
- Email Spy Software - Record Incoming and Outgoing Emails
- Keylogger Tools - Programs that log computer keystrokes
- Network Surveillance - Tools for monitoring computer network activity
- Pop-up Blocker Program - A powerful pop-up blocking tool to keep those unwanted browser windows from opening.
- Privacy Agent Tool - History Cleaning and File Deletion Software
- Digital Photography & Image Editing Software - Private detectives are often hired to conduct surveillance, which involves taking photographs and video of subjects, evaluating evidence, or interviewing witnesses and experts. It is often necessary for private investigators to use digital imaging, graphic design software, or image processing software to include images in reports for their clients or to transmit via email. Private investigators should become familiar with digital photo software and graphic design software to process, catalog, or enhance photos when necessary.
- Real Time Spy - RealTime Spy is computer monitoring software that allows you to monitor the activty on a personal computer.
- Spam Agent Software - Email Monitoring and Filtering Software Tool
- Spy Agent Software - PC Monitoring Software
- Spy Anywhere Program - Another computer monitoring software tool.
- SpyLock Anywhere - Secure Desktop Lockdown and Access Control Software
- Windows Undelete Software – Recover deleted Windows files using Windows File Recovery Software
In addition to programs used for conducting investigations, Private Eyes use a variety of business software tools to keep their business running smoothly.
- Anti-Virus Software - Protect your computers from viruses, malware, and keylogging software used by hackers
- Manage business operations for a private investigation agency
- PC Operating System Software - Operating system software for PC’s and MAC’s
- Skype Video Chat Software - Private Eyes can use Skype Video Software to video chat with clients and even interview witnesses.
- Tax Preparation Software – File your personal and business taxes.
- Voice Recognition - Voice recognition software to help you translate verbal notes into text while you’re on a surveillance mission.
- Web Browsers - A list of the most popular web browsers.
- Web Design Software - Software for designing your private investigator website.
Online Search Software and Search Tools
A variety of online search programs are available to help private investigators with looking up information online. The most common private investigator programs allow investigators to search for people, look up addresses and phone numbers, and conduct background investigations. Beware of such programs as Net Detective and Urgent Detective that claim to offer free background check capabilities. They are of little value to the serious private detective.
- Net Detective Online - This online detective program claims to help you find everything from criminal records, divorce records, and driving records. However, it is little more than an address search or white pages search tool
- eDetective – Another online search tool that claims to provide free background check capabilities.
- Urgent Detective - Another online search tool that claims to provide free background check capabilities.
We tested each of these services and do not feel they live up to the claim of offering free background check capabilities. You are unlikely to find a legitimate service that provides a truly free background check.
- You don’t necessarily need a to be a private investigator to use many of these programs. Nor do you need a private investigator license or private investigator training. However, having a private investigator license is always helpful.