California Private Investigator Licensing Requirements
Private investigator licensing in California is handled by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services. For more information on how to become a licensed investigator in California, verify the license of a private detective, and more, visit their website at http://www.bsis.ca.gov/, or view the California State Law on Private Investigator licenses.
Other special licensing requirements such as education requirements, experience requirements, examinations, and insurance may be required. Check the state licensing website for more information.
California Private Investigator Associations
- California Association of Licensed Investigators – The California Association of Licensed Investigators is the largest private investigator association in the world.
- Certified Investigative Professionals - Certified Investigative Professionals Inc. ® (CIPI), is a membership organization consisting of investigative professionals and affiliates, whose mission is to promote a standard of excellence among individual investigators, enhance public confidence in the profession, and represent the industry in business, education, and political forums
- California Associate Photocopiers and Process Servers (CCAPPS)
- California Association of Polygraph Examiners
Hire a Private Detective in California
- Hire a Private Investigator in California - To hire a private investigator in California, visit our directory of private eyes and private investigation agencies. Our directory may also help you find a private investigation agency to sponsor you as a beginning private investigator.
Additional Private Investigator Licensing Information
- Private Investigator Training Resources - Improve your chances of getting licensed by completing a private investigator degree program, training course, or home study course. Learn what options are available to get the private investigation knowledge necessary to get licensed.